1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Dual monitors with Win 2000 & Trident Cyberblade Ai1

Hello,

I just bought a new flatscreen (Dell 1704 FPT) to be used as an external monitor with my laptop/notebook Toshiba Satellite S1800-204. The laptop comes with Trident Video Accelerator Cyberblade-Ai1 AGP. As OS I'm using Windows 2000.

My problem:
    In Control Panel/Display/Settings/Advanced I can choose LCD+CRT. When I do this the desktop shows on both screens (resolution not really optimised though).

I want to use the external screen for viewing and my laptop screen for coding. In other words, I want to activate multiple-monitors to expand the desktop to more than one monitor (virtual desktop). I've read that I can adjust the layout of the monitors in Control Panel/Display/Settings by clicking different icons. These icons are presented as numbers that represent the monitors. The problem is that there are no such icons in my Control Panel/Display/Settings. Maybe there are some other settings that I need to change first, I'm not sure.

Question 1:
    If I can view the desktop on both screens (exact mirror image), does this also mean that I will be able to expand the desktop to multiple/dual monitors (virtual desktop)?

Question 2:
    If your answer to question 1 is yes, do you know how this can be fixed?

Best regards
  3. Infernal Technomancer
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

That capability is entirely dependant upon the video card and its drivers.

I can't seem to be able to access the Trident site from here, you could try there and see if there is a specification sheet or manual describing the capabilities of the card. The Toshiba manual only says that you can use the LCD only, dual display, or monitor only, which you already knew and doesn't help one bit.

PS-- Toshiba manuals and drivers can be found here.
    Asker of questions and all-around annoying guy.

For difficult hardware problems, go to the Hard Side™-- DevHardware Forums
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Dngrsone
    That capability is entirely dependant upon the video card and its drivers.

I can't seem to be able to access the Trident site from here, you could try there and see if there is a specification sheet or manual describing the capabilities of the card. The Toshiba manual only says that you can use the LCD only, dual display, or monitor only, which you already knew and doesn't help one bit.

PS-- Toshiba manuals and drivers can be found here.
    Dngrsone,

Thanks for your reply. I did manage to access their website (http://www.tridentmicro.com), but there is no information about their graphic cards.

So I guess your answer to question 1 is "no, not necessarily", right?
  7. Infernal Technomancer

Yeah. Did you try searching for the website for the Cyberblade-Ai1?

9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Dngrsone
    Yeah. Did you try searching for the website for the Cyberblade-Ai1?
    There is no search function.
  11. Infernal Technomancer

Dang! What kind of cheesy web-site do they have... no search function... </rant>

Well, I see lots of issues with that card and *nix installations, but I don't see anything about going to/using a virtual desktop.

Try downloading the latest drivers from Toshiba, see if there's something better/different at the Trident site, that's about all I can tell you unless and until I can get into that web page and muck around.
    Last edited by Dngrsone; July 20th, 2005 at 09:14 AM.

13. No Profile Picture

Ok. Looks like I'll have to get one of those Sitecom USB 2.0 VGA adapters.

Thanks for your help.

Have a nice day!
  15. No Profile Picture

After some research I found that it won't work. Only Windows 98 supports this feature. So my next question is:

Is there any "virtual desktop" software that would make this work with Windows 2000?

Any help is appreciated.

PS. I had a look at some VGA adapters but they don't support higher resolutions.
  17. No Profile Picture

Also, on Toshiba's website one can read:

"Windows offers an option which provides a means of using multiple monitors to create a single virtual screen. This option, called Multiport, was offered with Windows 98.

According to Microsoft, Windows Multiport makes it possible to use multiple monitors with a single display adapter. Notebooks computers which use a built-in display adapter can take advantage of this option if using Windows 98. However, this Multiport feature is not offered with Windows 2000.
    Note: The help file on Windows 2000 does not make this clear and can make it sound like Multiport is supported."

Do you think it might work with Windows XP?
  19. Infernal Technomancer

XP is based on NT, so it's hard to say. Search Microsoft's Knowledge Base for multiport?

21. No Profile Picture

Yes and it looks like it does support it. Will have to give it a try.
  23. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by MvS
    Yes and it looks like it does support it. Will have to give it a try.
    I'm coming to this forum belatedly as I have just managed to get some parts to repair an old Toshiba Satellite laptop SP6050 with the same card which I wanted to use to give PowerPoint presentations using Presenter View, which does require a different output from the VGA socket (for the projector) from that seen on screen by the presenter. After upgrading the computer to XP pro SP3 and MS Office to 2003 the function was still not available, so I started to look around for solutions with little hope of success (the computer only contains one video card) and found this forum.
    Anyway, good news! I updated the video card driver to the latest on the Toshiba site and now the option to extend the desktop, where the two monitors are shown on Display Properties > Settings has appeared: and what's more, it is possible, with the extended desktop function, to get the different outputs and use Presenter View! Not bad for a computer made in 2001 with a lowly rated video card!
    Perhaps the Multiport function has been incorporated into later versions of Windows.
    I hope this helps someone out there.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo