1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Elonex WBB209 notepad - webcam not working

Elonex WBB209 notebook
    Win 7 Starter SP1
    No built in optical drive

The built in webcam is not working. Itís not listed in system information, device manager (though there is a USB webcam listed), or the BIOS, & there are no problem devices listed in any of them. Everything else seems to be working fine. Itís almost as if the webcam doesnít exist. I donít know anything about the machine's history & donít have any discs.

Shouldn't it still appear in device manager & system information even if itís a hardware fault i.e. the webcamís dead? Any ideas on how I can check whether itís a hardware fault without actually dismantling the machine?

Rolled it back to the earliest restore point available, & then updated all drivers (using Driver Genius Pro - it didnít list webcam drivers as needed), but no success.

Phoned the Elonex support line & they said to just download any webcam driver & it should work. I've tried various drivers but they donít seem to help.

I'm thinking that if itís a software issue maybe I should use the recovery partition to wipe & restore C: to its original state. I can see the recovery partition in command line &/or in comp management>storage>disk management, but I'm not sure how to actually use it.

I know I need to change its status from hidden to active & then either run it from the HDD (not sure how) or I should create a recovery CD from it & use that instead - which is better?

Elonex support said it wouldn't be possible to use the recovery partition as there's no inbuilt optical drive....can that be right if the recovery partition's on the hard drive?

TIA
  3. Providing fuel for space ships
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

In the device manager there is a USB webcam listed, do you have a USB webcam attached ? If not, what is the status of it, is Windows reporting it as OK ?

What software do you use to use the webcam ?
    The No Ma'am commandments:

1.) It is O.K. to call hooters 'knockers' and sometimes snack trays
    2.) It is wrong to be French
    3.) It is O.K. to put all bad people in a giant meat grinder
    4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
    5.) It is O.K. to drive a gas guzzler if it helps you get babes
    6.) Everyone should car pool but me
    7.) Bring back the word 'stewardesses'
    8.) Synchronized swimming is not a sport
    9.) Mud wrestling is a sport

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo