1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Evil Mouse: Interrupted Click-Drag, Quantum Jumps, Single Click does Double Click

I used different mice (one with rubber ball and another optical) and both give me the same problems. The rubber ball mouse was connected via PS2 and the optical is USB.

When I click-drag, two different situations happen. It's either I'm not able to drag at all (as if the mouse button was let go before I drag, but I'm sure my finger's pressed down on the left mouse button), or I get an incomplete click-drag (aka, the mouse acts like I released the left mouse button while dragging.)

Sometimes, the partial click-drag happens, and without letting go of the left mouse button, another area is click-dragged (along the mouse pointer path).

It doesn't matter what application I'm using - Word, Photoshop, programming language editors, even trying to highlight text on IE's address bar is a gamble.

I checked all my hardware configurations in Control Panel | System and Windows doesn't show any IRQ conflicts or corrupt drivers. It says "this device is working properly" for my mouse and all USB ports.

There are times that when I single click, the mouse "quantum-jumps" to a different location on the screen. Then I can drag the mouse from there. This doesn't happen very frequently but it's frequent enough to slow me down in the things I need to do. The Interrupted Drag happens probably around 90% of the time I try to perform the task.

Then there's that "Evil Single Click" that acts as a Double Click. If I were in IE, clicking the Back Button once will take me two pages back. This Evil Single Click is probably the cause of why I'm unable to click-drag effectively.

I'm in desperate need of help on these issues. I've looked far and wide all over the net for answers. I'm still encountering problems.
  3. Providing fuel for space ships
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Have you checked the settings for the 'Mouse' in the control panel ?
    The No Ma'am commandments:

1.) It is O.K. to call hooters 'knockers' and sometimes snack trays
    2.) It is wrong to be French
    3.) It is O.K. to put all bad people in a giant meat grinder
    4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
    5.) It is O.K. to drive a gas guzzler if it helps you get babes
    6.) Everyone should car pool but me
    7.) Bring back the word 'stewardesses'
    8.) Synchronized swimming is not a sport
    9.) Mud wrestling is a sport
  5. No Profile Picture

Checked, Yes

Yes. The single-click option is switched off (aka, the ability to be able to click an icon once to open its corresponding application).

I tried a third mouse, also optical (Logitech), and it works as expected- No more jumps, highlight interrupts, and single click posing as a double click. The old optical mouse was Dynex, and the rubber ball mouse, I'm not sure what brand it was.

I don't know what's up with the two previous mice, and I hope nothing's wrong with this new one.
  7. Providing fuel for space ships
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

What type of connection is your new mouse ?
    The No Ma'am commandments:

1.) It is O.K. to call hooters 'knockers' and sometimes snack trays
    2.) It is wrong to be French
    3.) It is O.K. to put all bad people in a giant meat grinder
    4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
    5.) It is O.K. to drive a gas guzzler if it helps you get babes
    6.) Everyone should car pool but me
    7.) Bring back the word 'stewardesses'
    8.) Synchronized swimming is not a sport
    9.) Mud wrestling is a sport
  9. No Profile Picture

New mouse is wireless USB.

I read in some obscure forum that there could be a circuit problem in the mouse that triggers a click event 2+ times. Some say that my problem was computer virus related. Anyway, my new mouse is fine now.
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by cool2000
    New mouse is wireless USB.

I read in some obscure forum that there could be a circuit problem in the mouse that triggers a click event 2+ times. Some say that my problem was computer virus related. Anyway, my new mouse is fine now.
    hi m8, im having the exact problem as you with my logitech g5 laser - The left button works fine, but as soon as i try to drag it either doesnt work or it releases on its own without letting go.

Could you tell me the url to this "obscure" forum please m8?

Im deperate considering i paid 45 for this mouse

thx a lot

Stiff

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo