1. No Profile Picture
    Lil Wayne Fan
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Keep external harddrive plugged in?

Hey,

I just bought an external harddrive for my iMac. I am wondering can I just place all of my work on the external harddrive and then unplug it? Or should I keep it plugged in to my iMac all the time?

The reason I bought it was so I can transfer work between my iMac and laptop, and so I can backup my work every month. But now I have been reading that I should keep it plugged in to my iMac whenever am I using it.

So anyone have any better knowledge for me? Can I just plug it in when I want to use it, or should I keep it plugged in all the time?

Thanks
  3. Automagically Delicious
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Is data being written to it through some backup/replication process? If you just access it manually you only need to plug it in when you're using it. If there's an automated process that backs files up for you, it might not be a bad idea to keep it plugged in when you're sitting there. Just don't think you have to carry it with you everywhere or something.

Comments on this post

• Danaldinho agrees : Cheers
    Adam TT
  5. No Profile Picture
    Lil Wayne Fan

Originally Posted by AdamPI
    Is data being written to it through some backup/replication process? If you just access it manually you only need to plug it in when you're using it. If there's an automated process that backs files up for you, it might not be a bad idea to keep it plugged in when you're sitting there. Just don't think you have to carry it with you everywhere or something.
    No it's not.

Okay thanks, appreciate it
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If there is data being writing to it always or data is being transferred from it always then keep it plugged in. If you are just copy and moving files away then once you are done using it you can unplug it and pit it to the side.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If you are using it just like a data back up storage device then you can unplug it after your work is done.Otherwise You can keep it plugged in.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo