1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Angry Floppy drive won't work

Ok I have a Pentium MMX system. My OS is win 95. There are some major problems with my system and I wanted to reload Win 95 on it but now it won't acknowledge my floppy drive or CD-Rom.

I have checked my BIOS setting and it does recognize that there is a floopy there and it should boot it.

I have gone to the windows explorer and under "my computer" it lists the A drive. I click on the a drive and nothing happens except for the fact that computer freezes.

I have changed drives out as well as cables.

So I have no idea what to do next.

Please help!!

Megan
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Sounds like it could be your floppy controller on the motherboard. You can pick-up a PCI based floppy controller pretty cheap. There are some here:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...ppy+controller
  5. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Unless that computer has sentimental value, I'd say get a new one . Anything at all that you buy new now will be vastly better that what you have, and you could get something for $400-500, maybe even less.
    Else, I agree with Tom Myboy
  7. Bad Andy
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I generally agree with karsh. You would be amazed at the speed of even a lower end system of today! Take the plunge, it's not all that much money...
  9. Capt'n
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

With a new Dell selling for around USD 500, its not worth the time or trouble.

If you want to go even cheaper, Walmart.com sells systems that are 1.2Ghz, 256MB ram without an OS for $200 including cheap speakers and a keyboard. If you already have a monitor and OS, then you might want to look into it.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo