Thread: Gateway PSU

1. Junior Member
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Gateway PSU

Can you fit a new (any model)PSU into a gateway PC or does it have to be a gateway model?
  3. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

You should be able to fit any psu of the same form factor as your existing psu (most likely atx)
  5. Junior Member

I thought the same myself, but was told otherwise by a supplier, just thinking has anyone ever changed a Gateway PSU?

Don't dell only allow their ram into their units?
  7. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

I have other ram in a dell. They just want you to buy their stuff. Double check with the supplier as to the reason for that (recommendation or some strange Gateway voodoo electricity)
  9. Junior Member

thats the bad thing about them .the only thing that he missed is that you can use a regular ATX power supply , BUT you will have to get a special adapter so you can plug it into you mother board . atleast i know this can be done with dell . you will have to look at how the power supply plugs into the mother board first off to see if it a standard atx plug , which i doubt . if it isn't you are set , just get a power supply that will fit your case . if not you will have to find a adapter to go from the standard atx connection to the gateway connection

Got from another site, it seems they have different connecters to the mother board. In other words you have to buy their gear.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

depends on the model, HP is bad about using micro atx psu that are hard to match, the new-er gateway use a strange looking psu to fit the really slim case, but older gateways used the standard .
  13. Junior Member

Sorry its nothing to do with the connection, its just down to size of PSU unit.

Thanks for the help.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo