1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hard Drive Causes Computer Not To Boot

I bought a new PC and was swapping out hard drives when I put in an sata hard drive i use for backup and my new computer wouldnt boot. After a long time of trial and error I figured it was that particular drive and removed it. I sort of put it out of my mind for a few months but now I want to get my data off there. I have my older PC which it was originally in so I figured I could do some testing.

The problem seems to be a short in the hard drive. The hard drive is a seagate baracude (sata). I need to use one of those sata power adapters to be able to hook up to my current power supply. Both computers I tested on boot up fine but as soon as I plug in the power cord to the Hard Drive and hit the power on butt the cpu fan spins like half a turn then stops. After this if I remove the power from the hard drive and hit the power button the computer still won't boot. I must then unplugg the pc from the wall and then the PC will boot.

Is there any chance I accidently screwed somethign up during the move or maybe its the power adapter? I used the same adapter before so I'm hoping during the move maybe the adapter got screwed up. Anyone ever hear of this? Any Ideas?

-John
  3. Trapped on the forums...help
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

My guess is your PSU is just too small. drives use a lot of power to spin up, they can easily draw 50-100W for the first few seconds they power on, especially if its a big drive. So what is your PSU rated for?
    Last edited by edman007; March 25th, 2008 at 01:12 AM.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by edman007
    My guess is your PSU is just too small. drives use a lot of power to spin up, they can easily draw 50-100W for the first few seconds they power on, especially if its a big drive. So what is your PSU rated for?
    At first thats what I thought since I was moving this drive over to a new PC with a new power supply (600w) and adding a 3rd hard drive. However, I tried on my old PC (450w ps) but was only running that drive and a dvd burner. So it can't be the power supply since I confirmed on the old pc that it was previously working on. I went ahead and bought a new power sata power adapter which should get here in a few days. In the meantime anyone have any other ideas? Is there a way i can check and see if there is a short on the drive itself?

-John
  7. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by johnnysc22
    At first thats what I thought since I was moving this drive over to a new PC with a new power supply (600w) and adding a 3rd hard drive. However, I tried on my old PC (450w ps) but was only running that drive and a dvd burner. So it can't be the power supply since I confirmed on the old pc that it was previously working on. I went ahead and bought a new power sata power adapter which should get here in a few days. In the meantime anyone have any other ideas? Is there a way i can check and see if there is a short on the drive itself?

-John
    If your only concern is getting the data off as you mentioned, just pick up an external sata hd enclosure to put the hard drive in. You can get those for less than $50... think I got mine for about $20.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by hiker
    If your only concern is getting the data off as you mentioned, just pick up an external sata hd enclosure to put the hard drive in. You can get those for less than $50... think I got mine for about $20.
    Yeah that's my main concern. My power adapters should be here tomorrow, if they don't work then I'll try out the external enclosure. Although if something is wrong with the hard drive as far as power coming in then an external enclosure with its own separate power supply still might not fix the issue.

-John
  11. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by johnnysc22
    Yeah that's my main concern. My power adapters should be here tomorrow, if they don't work then I'll try out the external enclosure. Although if something is wrong with the hard drive as far as power coming in then an external enclosure with its own separate power supply still might not fix the issue.

-John
    Yeah... if there is something wrong with the hard drive, then an enclosure may not work. However, instead of trying to narrow the problem down to whether, in fact, it is the hard drive, the enclosure should be able to answer that question when you plug it in and turn it on.

In your original post, you mentioned that it "seems" to be a short, but you're not entirely sure. I figure this would be an easy way (and inexpensive) way to find out for sure.

If the hard drive plugs in fine, and you can read the data to copy your files off, then you probably have another problem somewhere which you'll want to look into.
  13. No Profile Picture

I received the new power adapter and I still get the same problem, both in my new computer and my old one. So it has to be a problem with the hard drive. I am thinking it's shorting out thus the fan spinning a half turn then the motherboard shutting down to prevent any damage.

Does anyone have technical knowledge of hard drive power supplies. Is there a way I can use a voltmeter or anything to figure out what is wrong and if it's possible to fix. I have alot of important data on this drive and would really like to at least get that copied over. So even if you have a short term solution, just long enough to copy the data over id appreciate it.

Thanks!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo