1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

hard drive clicking, not booting up

ok, i installed a 2nd hard drive on my computer about 3 months ago. i have it as the slave drive and i'm just using for storage space. i have it partitioned and formatted. it was working fine for about a month and a half then one time restarting my compuer it started making this clicking sound and now the computer doesn't boot up anymore. the comp will boot up once in a blue moon if i get lucky and the drive doesn't make the clicking sound. one time when the comp was able to boot up, the drive showed up and then another time it didn't. i know i have the ribbon cables connected properly and the jumpers are correct as far as i know. the slave jumpr is on the 2nd from the right, and the master jumper is on the master drive 3rd from the right. i know there is something wrong with the new drive cuz when i unplug the power the comp boots up fine. any suggestions.

brad
  3. No Profile Picture

Well, Brad I have bad news for you. That is the "click of death" from the sounds of it. There is really nothing for you to do with it. you just hope you back up all the data off of it and take the HDD and toss it
  5. No Profile Picture

I have the exact same problem. I have not been able to put a new os on my new drive because it started doing the same thing. Clicking. After doing some research it looks as if it might be the power supply. You can try that. I have not. I am still investigating whether it is the motherboard. Western Digital sent me a new hard drive. I hope that one is not ruined because of the power supply.
  7. No Profile Picture

Guys, I had this a few months ago, also with a Western digital that was a month old. As joker mentioned it's the click of death. There are companies that can still recover your data on a CD, but you're talking about $2K and therefore you probably have exchange it with Western Digital (if you still have warranty) or destroy it. Ajax
  9. No Profile Picture

ahhh, the click of death. it is true, this does indicate a physical failure with the drive. before sending it out for data recovery ($$$$) try this. put it in your freezer for 30 minutes. after it is good and cold, plug it in to a working computer as secondary master. you may get a spin or two out of it long enough to drag and drop your critical data onto the primary master.

if the drive is new, the manufacturer should replace it under warranty.

steve
    Onsite Computer Service
    www.onsitecomputerservice.com
    Last edited by onsite; March 24th, 2004 at 11:56 AM. Reason: clarity
  11. No Profile Picture

Smile New Power Supply

I bought a new power supply and that did the trick. No more problems. Thanks for the suggestions!!!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo