1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Which hard drive should I purchase?

I have an old HP computer that ran into too many hard drive corruption issues (Windows Vista) a few months back, so I went and bought a new computer. The other day though, I was thinking of placing a copy of windows server 2003 onto this old machine. I had so many hard disk issues however, that I was thinking perhaps it's best to just go out & purchase a new hard drive for this.

While I'm pretty comfortable around computers, I've never replaced the hard drive however, so I was curious what I should be looking for. Will any internal hard drive work for what I'm looking to do, or should I be looking for something specific? Once I install windows server 2003 onto this machine, it's just going to be a server for myself, to mess around on. It won't be hosting any live websites or applications, so speed & performance isn't really an issue. Just need something that will works

Thanks.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

The only big compatibility concern when it comes to hard drives is the interface. Given the age of your system, I'd suspect that you need an IDE drive and not a SATA drive.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Stumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I use Western Digital or Seagate drives in all my systems, mostly WD, usually purchased through newegg.com

If it turns out you have an IDE motherboard, you might consider getting an add-on sata controller. IDE drives are getting expensive, and don't offer the disk capacity of SATA drives.

You also want to check that your mb bios supports the size drive you're planning to get. Some older mb had bios limitations on disk size.

Comments on this post

• mikeatvillage agrees
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    It is a truism of American politics that no man who can win an election deserves to. --Trevanian, from the novel Shibumi
  7. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

Re: Which hard drive should I purchase?

The five devices on this page represent our favorites across categories for their ease of use, smart design, useful feature set, low cost per gigabyte, fast throughput speeds, or some or all of the above. This page is updated regularly as more devices are reviewed.
    The best hard drive device is useful to feature set, low cost per gigabyte, fast throughput speeds.

1. OCZ Vertex 4 SSD (512GB)
    The OCZ Vertex 4 is an excellent replacement drive for a standard-size laptop or desktop.

2. WD My Passport Portable (2TB, USB 3.0, white, March 2012) Editors' Choice - WD My Passport Portable (2TB, USB 3.0)
    The WD My Passport Portable makes an excellent portable drive for use with both desktop and laptop computers, at home or while on the road.

3. Silicon Power Armor A80 portable hard drive - 1TB - Super Speed USB 3.0
    The Silicon Power Armor A80 makes an excellent portable drive for travelers and home offices alike.

4. Seagate Go Flex Desk Thunderbolt adapter
    All things considered, the Seagate Go Flex Desk Thunderbolt adapter is currently the best investment for those who want a superfast storage device to use with a Thunderbolt-enabled Mac.

5. Synology Disk Station DS1511+ Editors' Choice - Synology Disk Station DS1511+

The Disk Station DS1511+ is arguably the best five-bay NAS server on the market for both home and office environments. Novice and home users, however, might be intimidated by its setup software and the number of features it has to offer.
  9. No Profile Picture

Ive had good experiences with Seagate
  11. No Profile Picture

Hard Disk

Maxtor is the best Hard Disk of all other.

Comments on this post

• DonR disagrees : you do realize that Maxtor was bought out by Seagate back in 2006?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo