1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hard drive question

Hi im wondering if there is a way to use a hard drive that i have in one computer and putting it in a new computer without having to reformat it.

Both systems use win xp pro, the hd i want to put in the new computer is a hewlett packard and the new computer is my work. My hd in the new computer went dead on me so it will be almost 2 weeks im guessing before i can get the replacement from newegg. Im impatient because i need to play a game that this 700mhz comp cant handle.
    Last edited by B-Rad; February 16th, 2004 at 08:59 PM.
  3. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by B-Rad
    Hi im wondering if there is a way to use a hard drive that i have in one computer and putting it in a new computer without having to reformat it.

Both systems use win xp pro, the hd i want to put in the new computer is a hewlett packard and the new computer is my work. My hd in the new computer went dead on me so it will be almost 2 weeks im guessing before i can get the replacement from newegg. Im impatient because i need to play a game that this 700mhz comp cant handle.
    You should be able to add the other drive as a second drive in the computer (slave) and access its data and such. If you are just replacing the other hdd, making your current drive the primary on the other computer, it probably will not work, there are too many hardware dependant settings and such. Its possible, but not very likely.
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo