This has been a very strange problem for me. I've been trying to solve an issue on this 640gb sata hard drive for about over a couple of years now. At some point along the road this hard drive started to get errors when I began to try and boot Linux operating systems from usb. I couldn't install or boot it due to a live file system error (which was an annoyance in itself). Also once i was done with trying to install linux, i no longer could install my prior operating system vista with failed installations. You have no idea how many times I have formatted this thing with countless bad os installs vista and Linux alike..

Damn small Linux could be done, but nothing to the point of a full scale operating system. I also had to remove a ram stick that as a result, seemed to solve multiple blue screens of death error. Now, I got to the point where I just couldn't be bothered any more. I didn't know what the problem was. I couldn't use some of the diagnostic tools on offer, as gparted would just go on infinite scans.

Bios settings improved the situation and allowed me to boot from usb, but speed remained an issue as installing would still go no where. so I took out my hard drive in hopes of just booting from external hard drive. All of a sudden my computer speed boosts to how it should be. No usb speed issues, no boot errors of any kind..

Its likely that i could be dealing with a bad hard drive due to way too many formats, or the fact compatibility between sata and Linux might be an issue, or even a virus. but be that as it may, I would like to use my hard drive again at some point.

Any idea if this thing could be salvageable..?