1. Person everyone wants to hate.
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

HP 24" monitor not displaying correctly in Win7

First off, hardware specs.

Video Card: nVidia 8700M GT
    Display : HP A7217A 24" CRT
    Set Resolution: 1920x1200

Ok. Now i have this display hooked up to two machines. One running XP with a 7800 Geforce, and the other my laptop with the 8700M. The XP machine looks like it should. Clear, Sharp, all resolutions displayed.

On the Win7 machine however, it looks fuzzy, not as sharp as it should be. Win7 wouldn't even see all of the monitors resolutions, i had to go into the nvidia control panel and add them manually. Ive tried using the Sony monitor driver (as, hardware wise, its the same as the Sony GDM-FW900) but that doesnt effect anything. The friend i got it from suggested i should get the monitors color profile, but i cant seem to find it.

As far as display drivers, I did try to run the latest nvidia drivers for my card. Not only did it not clear up the display, but it removed the higher resolutions and i couldn't even manually re-add them, so i rolled it back to the previous version.

Does anyone know if this profile file would help or is there something else i could try?
  3. Kage Bunshin
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I hate asking obvious questions, but did you try rebooting after plugging in the monitor? Sometimes I unplug my second monitor (like when I am gaming) and when I plug it back in it isn't detected until I reboot.

It might be time for an upgrade. I didn't know Win7 would even work with a CRT monitor.
    "Java makes impossible things possible, but makes easy things difficult." - Somebody
  5. Person everyone wants to hate.

Originally Posted by tagmanadvance
    I hate asking obvious questions, but did you try rebooting after plugging in the monitor? Sometimes I unplug my second monitor (like when I am gaming) and when I plug it back in it isn't detected until I reboot.

It might be time for an upgrade. I didn't know Win7 would even work with a CRT monitor.
    yea, ive had the display for about a week, the computer has gone though several reboots since i plugged it in.

Why wouldnt win7 work with a crt?
  7. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by Lyian
    Ok. Now i have this display hooked up to two machines.
    Through a KVM switch or something? Have you tried hooking up to one machine at a time? (Or did I just misinterpret this comment)

One running XP with a 7800 Geforce, and the other my laptop with the 8700M. The XP machine looks like it should. Clear, Sharp, all resolutions displayed.

On the Win7 machine however, it looks fuzzy, not as sharp as it should be. Win7 wouldn't even see all of the monitors resolutions, i had to go into the nvidia control panel and add them manually. Ive tried using the Sony monitor driver (as, hardware wise, its the same as the Sony GDM-FW900) but that doesnt effect anything. The friend i got it from suggested i should get the monitors color profile, but i cant seem to find it.
    Have you checked Device Manager to see if you see any errors listed? (Yellow exclamation marks or red x's)

As far as display drivers, I did try to run the latest nvidia drivers for my card. Not only did it not clear up the display, but it removed the higher resolutions and i couldn't even manually re-add them, so i rolled it back to the previous version.

Does anyone know if this profile file would help or is there something else i could try?
    Did you download this straight from the nvidia site or a third party site? Prior to installing, did you uninstall the drivers and reboot, or did you install on top of the current installation?

Why wouldnt win7 work with a crt?
    Should work with CRT as well.. I've never had a problem with this.

When using with laptop, are you using as main screen, or to extend your desktop?
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"
  9. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Windows 7 has ClearType fonts enabled by default, you might be interpreting this as "fuzziness". I would compare the two systems with a different monitor or try disabling ClearType and see if that makes a difference.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  11. Person everyone wants to hate.

Originally Posted by hiker
    Through a KVM switch or something? Have you tried hooking up to one machine at a time? (Or did I just misinterpret this comment)

Na, the monitor has two inputs on it. One Component, the other VGA. Ive tried both inputs on both machines, makes no difference.

Have you checked Device Manager to see if you see any errors listed? (Yellow exclamation marks or red x's)

No errors.

Did you download this straight from the nvidia site or a third party site? Prior to installing, did you uninstall the drivers and reboot, or did you install on top of the current installation?

From nvidia, followed the steps and selected my specific card with win7 64 bit OS.

Should work with CRT as well.. I've never had a problem with this.

When using with laptop, are you using as main screen, or to extend your desktop?
    I use the CRT as my main screen, have the laptop lid closed. The main screen looks fine, but its a lower res and an LCD.

Windows 7 has ClearType fonts enabled by default, you might be interpreting this as "fuzziness". I would compare the two systems with a different monitor or try disabling ClearType and see if that makes a difference.
    Yea, i looked into this as well after i posted. Tuning this off makes no difference, im not even looking at the text to determine the sharpness, im looking at the icons (more specifically, the sys-tray ones)

Im thinking about setting up a Dualboot with XP just to see if its just Windows 7 causing this or not.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo