1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I think HP sold me the wrong graphics card

I just receive a brand new laptop Pavilion dv7. I custom built it and bought it from the website of HP. I ordered a powerful core duo, 6GB RAM and 1GB ATI 5650 graphics card with switchable graphics. Everything seems to be in order but when I ran the diagnostic test (dxdiag) on display it shows Intel(R) HD Graphics NOT ATI 5650 graphics card (as I ordered). The chip type reads: Intel(R) HD Graphics (Core i5). There is not a trace of 5650 anywhere!

I am running Windows 7 64 bit professional and all the drivers got installed automatically with the set up of the windows.

Why doesn't it show the correct graphics card name? Could it be that HP have gotten my graphics card wrong or am I missing something?

The laptop shipped across the world and it took weeks more than a hundred dollars to get here. What do I do now?

any advise will be appreciated, thanks
  3. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

You can try to downlaod gpu-z and see what it tell about the graphic card:
    http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Alternative, you can also take a look at CPUID.
    http://www.cpuid.com/

If that still display wrong information, you will have to contact HP

Comments on this post

• gandalf117 agrees
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

thank you for your answer,

I used a third party software as you recommended and it recognized the correct graphics card. So now I am pretty sure that HP hasn't sent me a laptop with the wrong video card.

The software that installed automatically with Windows 7 doesn't seem to recognize the name of the video card though. It just says Intel(R) HD Graphics. Shouldn't it say Radeon 5650? That's what got me worried in the first place. So maybe I don't have the right driver for the card?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo