1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Imaging Windows from standard SATA to SSD drive, is it ok?

Hi all, I have bought a new laptop from DELL, a XPS 1702x that came with a standard SATA-II drive pre-loaded with Windows 7 x64.

That's fine so far, but I also have on my tablet, a brand new, unboxed, unused Corsair Force Sata-III 120 Gb that I want to use as my primary hard drive once the laptop comes.

What I would like to know is what the best method to proceed to get the better performance/setup from my SSD, do I;

1 - Use a tool like Acronis and make an image of my standard hard-drive once it arrives and the replace the HD with the SSD and put the Acronis image on the SSD. (Then formatting the standard HDD on another PC and using it on the laptop as storage).

2 - Download a Windows 7 Dell OEM ISO image and burn it on a DVD to make a fresh, clean install on the SSD, then making the same thing as #1 for the standard HDD (formatting, etc.).

3 - Any other ideas

Since it's not the 'same kind of drive' (SSD vs HDD), the fastest way would be to use Acronis but I'm affraid it could mean performance loss since they don't behave the same way. Windows 7 don't use the drive the same way, I think, just thinking to the defrag under a SSD..., what would happen if I'm imaging the drive from HDD to SSD, would Windows 7 automatically reconfigure itself to support fully the SSD without harm of Windows will be 'confused'?

thanks in advance!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I would definitely get the OEM image and do a fresh re-install. There are significant differences between the way drivers need to operate on mechanical drives vs solid drives. I don't know what Windows 7 does at install-time that would affect the primary drive, and I doubt that you'll be able to find much information on it. I highly doubt that it would automatically detect a drive imaging and reconfigure itself for a new drive. That's simple not a feature that enough consumers would need to warrant having in a consumer operating system like Windows 7.

Installing Windows 7 is not difficult at all. It would probably take you longer to reconfigure the imaged version of Windows than it would to just reinstall it.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

whether it can be installed on a SATA drive and then clone that image to the SSD???

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo