1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

internet connection splitter

I have a cat5 wire connection coming out of the wall which I plug my computer into the internet. This is a passworded computer and so it is not always on and available to other users on the network. On the same desk I have a shared printer on the network, which I would like to be available 24/7. The idea was to have a wireless printer connection on the network, but it just keeps failing and finally the manufacturer said just hard wire it. I only have access to one cat5 connection and since I can't plug the printer into my computer, I am looking for a solution.

I think what I need are 2 cat5 wires and so my question is, as far as splitters, do they work? Is there a certain kind that I need? Or is there a better solution?

Additional information - Currently our internet comes through a modem/router and then it goes out to 4 wires, ending with the male end. With those 4 connections in different places, they plug directly into devices. There is no female end where the above computer plugs in. I was watching video about having two RJ45 connectors, but I can't do that.

Thanks.
    Last edited by cea; July 2nd, 2014 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Additional information
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

If you do have a router on the network, all you would need is a network switch.

The router would supply the IP addresses, through the switch, [assuming DHCP is turned ON in the router] to your computer and printer.

Just plug existing wire into switch and then plug your PC and the printer both into the switch. Router will give out IP's...PC won't need to be ON, Printer will either obtain IP thru router or you could set a static IP , then, it could be shared using its network IP.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo