1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Keyboard enter key won't work

I have a laptop that has a broken enter key. I usually plug in and use another keyboard.

Recently I've been trying to install a new operating system. The problem is that as soon as I leave the current operating system the additional keyboard and the mouse stop working. I can't navigate and select in the bios or any other menus outside the operating system. If it was another key I would have probably managed somehow, but since it's exactly the most crucial of all keys - the enter key, I can't do anything.

Is there a way to turn another key into an enter key or to have the functions of an enter key?
    Is there a way to install an operating system without the use of an enter key?
    Is there any workaround for my problem besides getting the laptop to a repair shop and getting my keyboard fixed?
  3. <?PHP user_title("gimp"); ?>
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Have you tried popping off the key and cleaning any debris that may have gotten into it?

Also, you can usually get a laptop keyboard for $50 or so and swap it out yourself.

Comments on this post

• jzd agrees
    Chat Server Project & Tutorial | WiFi-remote-control sailboat (building) | Joke Thread
    “Rational thinkers deplore the excesses of democracy; it abuses the individual and elevates the mob. The death of Socrates was its finest fruit.”
    Use XXX in a comment to flag something that is bogus but works. Use FIXME to flag something that is bogus and broken. Use TODO to leave yourself reminders. Calling a program finished before all these points are checked off is lazy.
    -Partial Credit: Sun

If I ask you to redescribe your problem, it's because when you describe issues in detail, you often get a *click* and you suddenly know the solutions.
    Ches Koblents
  5. No Profile Picture

my conclusion

I couldn't find a workaround for this. The bios remains inoperable. But I managed to plug a desktop keyboard in the usb port and installed windows with its help. I can't use that keyboard in the bios though.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

In the "old days' you could use ctrl-M as the Return key. With newer PC's I don't know if the enter key still uses the CR keycode or if it's something else these days. Some other handy alternatives were

ctrl-H backspace
    ctrl-L linefeed
    ctrl-I horizontal tab
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  9. No Profile Picture

Smile one solution to my question

Originally Posted by Doug G
    In the "old days' you could use ctrl-M as the Return key. With newer PC's I don't know if the enter key still uses the CR keycode or if it's something else these days. Some other handy alternatives were

ctrl-H backspace
    ctrl-L linefeed
    ctrl-I horizontal tab
    I found a program that can switch keys on the keyboard. It's called SharpKeys. It uses the registry to switch one key for another and that's why it is a little dangerous but it works.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo