1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Laptop crash on first start

Hello, I have an HP Pavilion Dv7. My problem is very strange and I have been living with it for quite some time now. In short, when I switch the laptop and I use it just for browsing it is ok. If I watch a movie or play a game, after some time it crash (black screen, strange noise from speakers). When I restart it might cash for multiple times; while loading, as soon as I login, etc. But then ... *this is the strange part* after a restart or two (or three or four, this is not always the same, most of the time its once however) I can use it, play videos, play games for hours ... nothing. It keeps running.

The first time I had noticed this was some years ago. I used a program to see the tempreture and I could see that it was quire high. I therefore opened the laptop, cleaned CPU fan, did new thermal heating (I bought high quality thermal heating) and temperatures looked fine.

If I go to event viewer after the crash I can see most of the time a message saying "SecDrv ". Note that sometimes it crashes with a bliue screen of death as well ... but most of the time it is a black screen. I did a search on the net and found that some people complained that SecDrv gave them problem. I removed the program but still get crash.

I had Windows 7 installed on this and now I have Windows 10. Problem existed on both. Although on Windows 10 it only started to appear after installing drivers and programs.

I do not know where to look for what might be causing the issue. As I said my first thought would be that the issue is related to heat. However why would it then run without problems for hours after a couple of restarts at the start.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Maybe problem is in power supply. Try to use another one.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo