1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Laptop issue-dark screen!

Hi,

I have a Compaq Notebook 100, it is approx 3 years old, however when I switch on the laptop the screen is dark-too dark to see anything.

Any ideas? Please advise.

Graham
  3. No Profile Picture

I'm also facing the problem.
    Do share pls.......

Some ppls say that the inverster of the screen already faulty. That's why it like that. Ppl used to call it as blackout.
    It cost a lot to change the inverter.
  5. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

If it just became that way, and you've tried adjusting the contrast and such as much as possible, you'll have to bring it to a shop to see what they say. There isn't much you can do with laptops, esp monitors, on your own.
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  7. I thank you very little
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Can you hook up a regular monitor to your laptop? Maybe something is wrong with the video card? Just a guess though

Good luck
    PEACE!
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Just a shot in the dark. A while back, 3-4 years ago my company had a similar problem with a few of our laptops. I know we used Compaq hardware but I don't remember much more than that about the hardware. Anyways, there were a few laptops that the screens had problems. A loose wire that connected the CPU part of the laptop to the screen was to blame. The users had to pry open the case between the top of the keyboard the edge of the case to wiggle the wire. If you're out of options, you might want to wiggle some wires and see what happens. :-)
  11. No Profile Picture
    Developer, Grey-Council.org

Originally Posted by gbg1966
    Hi,

I have a Compaq Notebook 100, it is approx 3 years old, however when I switch on the laptop the screen is dark-too dark to see anything.

Any ideas? Please advise.

Graham
    If this happens when you switch from AC to Battery power, or if you've just done a BIOS update, the most likely culprit is the Power Management features.

Some manufacturers (like Dell) have their systems setup to automatically dim the LCD when switched from AC to battery in order to conserve battery power.

In any event, those settings are managed through the BIOS, so you might want to do some investigation.
  13. No Profile Picture

15. No Profile Picture

u39c2, I'm suspecting that the inverter itself malfunction as well. Thanks for the sharing.
    Well, I able to hook up my laptop into desktop monitor and there is a display.
    Whenever I power up the m/c, there'll be a display through the TFT screen for app 1/2 sec. Then, it become totally dark toward the screen.
    In this case, how do we define that chances is high due to inverter? Addition, my laptop is using clone brand (RANGER) and it's using LF TFT screen.
    BTW, app how much does the inverter cost? If it's too expensive, I would rather to replacea new one.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo