1. Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question linux box hardware question / dilemma

Ok, I got this little KVM switch on sale at bestbuy after I upgraded my main system and wanted to use the components from my old system to make a linux box/file server; however, I don't have all that much room for a full sized case or even a mid tower and I've been having trouble finding a small profile ATX case that I could mount my old stuff in.

My question is: does anyone know of a sub $100 (us) ATX case that is small, but still can take all of the standard components...

The stuff that i've got is:
    P3 733 MHz Intel
    Tyan ATX mobo
    nVidia TNT2 64MB AGPx2 (? x4 ?)
    Creative SB Live 5.1
    Couple of 3.5" HDD's
    A netgear nic card
    and ~128MB mem.

The stuff I need:
    small ATX case...
    And Power Supply
    (and maybe some mounting brackets)

I know the stuff i've got is compatible w/ linux because I had it installed before. (I just want to separate winblows form Linux untill there is a better set of games for Linux then it's Bye Bye windows)
  3. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

What is a "small" case? What dimensions could you fit? If you can't fit a mid tower, you might just not have room for an atx case, since to get much smaller you're looking at a micro atx box. http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20030804/index.html
    has a bunch of cases, but without dimension specs from you, can't say if they will fit wherevere you're thinking.
  5. Registered User

I kind of figured that if I was unable to find an atx case my only other option would be to go to a micro or one of the new shuttles.

Now since I don't have a ruler/tape with me to give you some proper dim, a vague estimate:
    width ~4-5" maybe 6"
    height ~14-16"
    Depth ~14-16"

I'm thinking the case would look like a smaller version of the old desktops where the case would lay on its side.

I guess that when I say small I mean the case is a REAL knuckle bleeder. Big enough to hold the mobo, the power supply, one or two 3.5" and one 5.25", video/sound card, just barley.
    Last edited by cyberkid_1982; September 23rd, 2003 at 12:23 PM.
  7. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

You basically described a micro atx case. Check it out, though you might have to look to find one that fits your cpu. Else, unless someone else knows of on, I don't know, you'll need to go with a micro atx.
  9. Registered User

Ok. (last ditch effort...) Does anyone know of a micro-ATX case that is also compatable with standard ATX (I mean, if I drill new holes will it fit in side without having to break anything off of the board)...

If not does anyone want an older ATX style tyan PIII motherboard... or maybe... does anyone have a large skeet trap...
  11. Capt'n
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Check here:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...c.asp?CatId=32

It may not be uber small, but they have plenty of models and I have seen some for under $30 with 350 watt power supplies.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo