1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

New MaBook Air ?

Hi guys,
    I was thinking about buying a MacBook Air. I always worked with Windows.
    What are the cons and pros of a Macbook Aire ?
    Are there other people that moved from pc to Mac ?
    Thanks
    Juf V
  3. Automagically Delicious
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I'll give you the same advice I give everyone about Mac vs. PC.

Apple controls, end-to-end, their product line. The hardware, software, etc. Since they have a tight control on peripherals they are much more easily to tightly control device drivers. This allows for better working devices and easier updates. With that comes at a cost though. Since they control everything along the way they can make it cost whatever they dang well please; which generally greater than the competition. Granted, they are able to, and do, build systems that meet and exceed expectations for particular uses. Innovation is high and new technology *tends* to be more mature from the beginning.

PC's on the other hand have a wide range of manufacturers, parts, etc. Driving costs down significantly but making the software work harder to keep up with the vastly expanding pool of peripherals. Microsoft/Windows itself cannot maintain or write device drivers and must rely on the device's manufacturer to conform to their standards (or, potentially, vice versa) to communication and behave properly. This introduces a large amount of ambiguity when it comes to full compatibility, security, and other concerns for cooperation between devices; albeit as a significantly lower cost.

Bottom line: I wouldn't say one is better than the other. A few years ago it could be argued that MAC was far superior for Video/Photo and other artistic endeavors. Much of that claim was based on what software was available for the different platforms. Photoshop only existed for Macs for example. But today you can easily perform similar tasks as well on one system as you can on the other. When selecting a system to use take into account what you wish to use it for and purchase accordingly. For example, a Macbook Air would NOT be the wisest choice when wanting to play games on (excluding web-based flash games of course.) The hardware isn't setup for heavy graphics processing and games aren't quite as available on Mac as they are on PC.
    Adam TT
  5. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Personally I don't recommend ultra-light computers like the Air. They fulfill a need that doesn't exist for most people; mostly they just sit there and look cool.

Most people have very simple tasks that they can accomplish on an even more portable device, like a phone, and they have complex tasks that they can only accomplish on a more powerful device like a desktop or full laptop. There are very few tasks that a smaller device like a phone can't do that an ultra-light computer can do.

Ultra-light computers are expensive, not very powerful, and nearly impossible to repair. Most of them have terrible keyboards too, which is the only reason I could see for justifying one over a phone.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  7. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thanks for your feedback. I will take it in account.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo