1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

SSD Average Life Span?

I have a broken leg so I'm really bored around the house. I decided to upgrade my Samsung 840 EVO firmware. I have a 500GB SSD which is my 1st ever SSD purchase. I noticed while upgrading the firmware and tinkering around in the utilities, there's a section that had a total drive life calculation of writes. I read or was told (can't remember) that SSD's are only good up until a specific usage point. I was curious what is that point? What happens and how can I bench my drive to understand where exactly it falls in terms of expected performance? I am mildly worried as one can be for a small electronic device that w/ all the installations of Linux and OS X, the drive may have been extra stressed. I still have no idea how Linux handles TRIM and such so that could play a factor in my drive health.

Thanks for any information!
  3. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Have you tried to look at some of the lifespan review to see about the "usage point".

I donīt know much about the linux and OS X part, but maybe you can search for some articles/reviews about ssd and trim as well?
  5. Contributing User

It would seem most average SSD's should last a total write life span of 1 Petabyte. That's a lot of data being written and that's assuming 100% failure free components. Not sure what the math works out to on what that would equate to per day. Would be interesting...
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Modern SSD's last lifetime but we all know that anything that is electronic has a lifespan....so unless you have a server or are writing a lot of data it'll last probably upwards of 4-5 years.
    bodHOST.com : | Knowledge-Base |
    Live Chat | Ph: 866-662-0909 | Email:sales@bodhost.com|

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo