1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Mouse detection etc.

I have recently installed a new plug and play mouse (optical, wired).

The pc was switched off when I changed the mouse. Vista seemed to be aware that I have changed the mouse, assuming it is using the same driver why did it need to reinstall the driver?

How did it know I changed the mouse?

I note that this new mouse has 800dpi resolution. What does this mean. Is it good?

This new mouse is also smaller that the mice I have used before. I assume that there is no standard size for mice

Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I note that this new mouse has 800dpi resolution. What does this mean. Is it good?
    800dpi is fine. It's a measure of the sensitivity of the mouse. An 800dpi mouse can detect a movement of 1/800 of an inch. Most mice fall within 400 - 6000 dpi. Mice above 800dpi are mostly intended for gaming and usually have selectable dpis.

This new mouse is also smaller that the mice I have used before. I assume that there is no standard size for mice
    No, there is no standard size.

assuming it is using the same driver why did it need to reinstall the driver?
    I'm not sure about your assumption that it's using the same driver, but certain types of USB devices are designed to automatically be configured when connected. Notably, this includes human interface devices like keyboard and mice, and mass storage devices like thumb drives.

How did it know I changed the mouse?
    Because computers are designed to detect hardware changes.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture

Thank you.

The red light emitted - is it a laser, or just a red light.
    Is there a significance for the red?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

If you can see red light then it is not likely a laser, as most laser mice do not emit visible light.

The color of light is determined by its frequency. I don't know specifically why most mice use red light, but I assume it has something to do with sensors working best or being cheapest at that frequency.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  9. No Profile Picture

Thank you

Regarding my previous point (drivers and mice). I assumed that when a mouse was installed (plug and play) then Vista uses a generic driver, hence using the same driver whatever mouse is installed.
  11. No Profile Picture

Thanks for this articles
  13. No Profile Picture

Nice article.I like some articles

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo