1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Odd things with computer power

Recently, my desktop computer has been shutting off. I had replaced the power supply unit in 2010 and I know that could be the issue, but some odd things have been going on. I have the computer plugged into a surge protector. If I have put the computer into standby, and then if I turn on or off a fan that I have in another part of the room, (assuming it is on the same circuit) and plugged into a different receptacle, the computer will make a zooom noise and act as if it is coming out of standby. Then after about a minute, it will make a shutting off noise, kind of a click. I can then later tap my space bar and it will come out of standby normally.

Then recently, with my computer shutting off, it will do it 3 times in one day and then not do it for a week. So I was thinking I needed to order a new power supply, but tried replacing the power cord and so far so good on that, but now I am wondering if maybe it could be the surge protector. Does anyone have any experience with this thing going on when I turn on and off my fan?

I also checked the Event Viewer/System and found that at about the time the computer shut off that there was an error for TCP/IP. There are about 25 listings of error "disk" over a period of about 4 minutes which had occurred prior to the shutdown. So even wondering, could it be my hard drive?

Specs - Gateway 510X, Windows XP, SP3.
    Last edited by cea; August 13th, 2013 at 01:04 PM. Reason: More info
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Pull the case cover off and look at the electrolytic [canister] capacitors near where the processor is and see if any of their tops are bulging or showing signs of leakage..if you see this type of problem then your motherboard is most likely the cause of your issues. (do a google search for "motherboard bulging capacitors" to see what I am talking about).
    Thats the first place I would look on a system that old [5-7yrs old].
    That same "bulging cap" issue can also take place inside the power supply, but, you said you have replaced the power supply [PSU] already.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I checked that out, and I don't see any signs of bulging. But that is sure a good thing to know. Thanks for your response.

A side note, but it sure seems like Avast is making my computer run so much slower, it messed up a piece of software that I use, but that company had a particular fix for that. So kind of wonder, is that a factor, is it a relevant issue to the TCP/IP?

Yes an old computer, 7 years probably. Having a hard time making the switch to the newer Windows. I just love XP, works for me and my needs.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo