1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

No output to screen

Dear all

Recently whilst browsing on my desktop pc(hp pavillion) my computer screen went orange with lines all over it (best description) at which point I could only restart the pc using the power switch!
    System reloaded okay, asking for normal or safe mode, normal worked!
    Soon afterwards screen froze again, green colouring this time!
    Next time computer screen went & stayed black when windows started up. At first was able to enter system setup by pressing F8, Now computer turns on, fans running, laser mouse light comes on, keyboard lights do not, but absolutely no signal to screen!
    Have connected my pc to a different screen/mouse/keyboard/power cable and still nothing happened!
    Any advice would be much appreciated!
    Thank you
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

If you've ruled out the possibility of the monitor being broken, then it sounds like something inside is broken. Based on your description, I would guess that it's probably the video card. If your computer doesn't have a discrete video card, then it's probably the motherboard. If your computer is using a processor with the video hardware built into the CPU, it's still probably the motherboard (CPUs virtually never break). If you're not familiar with the internals of a computer I think you've done about all you can at this point and should take it into a repair shop where they have spare parts they can swap in until they find the one that's broken.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thank you for your time and help E-Oreo,
    I've tried a few things inside the pc but nothing has helped, taking it in to a shop on Friday!
  7. Sarcky

As many of you may have guessed, asking Gateway (which stopped being a company in 2007) to fix a non-gateway computer will not work. The user who used to be above me has been banned since "ask Gateway" is all he ever said.

Weird, right?
    Last edited by ManiacDan; April 23rd, 2013 at 07:55 AM.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code

Just to clarify... I'm pretty sure the post you're referring to was deleted, so the user who's above you now hasn't actually been banned.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  11. Sarcky

Aw, I left him because of how ridiculous it looked. Edited above.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo