Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

PC will not boot, No POST beep

Hello, and thank you in advance for any help.

Situation: My wife and I have matching custom built PC's. Recently the Liquid Cooling system in her pc needed to be flushed and refilled. I removed the MOBO from the computer, pulled the cooling system from the CPU, flushed and refilled, cleaned and prepped both Heatsink and CPU and applied new thermal compound, reassembled the system and turned it on. First time after flush it ran fine for about 10 minutes, then shut down normally (on it's own). Since then it has not booted properly. The indicator light on the MOBO is illuminated, showing that there is power. Upon pressing the pwr switch, all devices begin to run, all fans, drives, and keyboard/mouse turn on, but the bios never starts to boot, and no POST beep sounds.

Specs:
    MOBO: ASUS A8R-MVP, AMD 939 chipset, with AMI Bios
    CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual Core processor.
    PSU: Brand unknown, 500 watt
    HDD1: Maxtor 6L250R0 250 Gig, 7200 RPM
    HDD2: Brand Unknown 250 Gig Storage only
    Ram: 3X 512M Corsair PC3200 DDR SDRAM

anything needed that I may have forgotten to list, please ask and I will post.

Tried so far:

Monitor on other PC: OK
    PSU swapped for known good one: Same result (plus origional PSU powering another PC fine)
    Resetting CMOS and BIOS by removing battery and with jumpers: Same result
    Swapping memory sticks for known good ones: Same result
    Leaving PC on for a time of 1 hour: Same result

I am thinking that it is most likely the MOBO or CPU but was hoping that someone could post an alternative here that I could try before shelling out the $200-$300 for replacement parts as everything is past warranty (by like 3 months )

Again, thank you for any help you may be able to provide.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Should have done this 3 months earlier.

What are the odds that you accidentally introduced some ESD onto the board and damaged it? Perhaps it's not cooling properly and overheated? AMDs are not as forgiving when it comes to overheating. At least back in the Athlon XP days the processor would just die when overheated. Aside from re-seating everything to be safe, it sounds like either the processor overheated or somehow the board took some damage during everything.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks seack for the reply.

I have already tried to reseat everything, still didn't work (forgot to post that earlier) and what I'm afraid of is that you're probably right about the ESD,... after all, there are 2 cats and a dog runnin' around (and none of them seem to understand the idea of a closed door lol) I'mma' see if anyone else has an idea, if not, then I guess I'll be selling my beloved 12" sony subs to fix my wife's pc
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well, you've certainly tried everything that I would recommend, maybe someone else has another idea. All I could say is if you had the parts try a new PSU, mobo, and CPU and see what happens. You could also try just booting the PC with no cables connected and no video card or RAM. The PC obviously won't boot, but maybe you can at least get a POST error which lets you know the board is working. Give that a shot (disconnect your HDDs, CD-Rom(s), floppy, etc.. Take out all the RAM and video card. I know this seems counter-intuitive, but at least this way we can test the board. If you try and turn it on and the board doesn't even give you a POST error (because the video and/or RAM is missing) then it sounds like the board took a hit.
  9. No Profile Picture

yep,... tried it with nothing on the mobo,... still no post signal or errors thrown,... so, what is the more likely candidate,... CPU or MOBO?? the CPU is still generating heat, so I assume it's still relaying info, which leads me to think it's the mobo that's toast. Go figure considdering I found a brand new replacement CPU (same model) for like $30,... but the cheapest mobo I can use is like $75........
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Unless you've tried this and I missed it...try removing the mobo from the case and see if it will boot from the bench...

(sorry if this is redundant but it's not uncommon)
    be sure there is a "system" speaker attached to the mobo? (not amulti-media speakers connected to the sound card)
  13. No Profile Picture

thanks for the suggestion, will try that a little later, and yes,... there is a system speaker hooked up. Will let you know how that goes this evening sometime
  15. No Profile Picture

Ok,... update: removed the mobo, and hooked only power, power controlls and system speaker to it. Resting on wooden desk next to case. Main power switch thrown: green light on mobo. System power button depressed: case fans, coolant pump and others begin to operate normally, still no post, and no video,... apparently, I need a new mobo,.... unless anyone else has any ideas
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

begin to operate normally
    if by "begin" you mean for just a second...check the CPU power supply lead that connects to the mobo (4 pin)

but you should be getting some beep code...
  19. No Profile Picture

by "begin" I actually meant that they run normally, at least as normally as one can tell on a system that doesn't even post,... but yeah, no beeps at all: not post, not even bios errors, even left it on for aprx 10 minutes and nothing changed.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

More than likely it's the mobo. Just out of curiosity, how do you know the cpu is generating heat? You didn't remove the heatsink/fan did you?
  23. No Profile Picture

lol nope,... didn't remove the heatsink/fan,... and actually there is no fan,... (it's liquid cooled). The way I know the cpu is producing heat is the pump in the liquid cooling system circulates the coolant properly, and the radiator does get warm. As for the mobo, turns out I can't even get the same model anymore,... and that sucks. Now I get to find a new mobo that supports all the extras I had added (like dual video cards running as one in "CrossFire" mode).
  25. Malware Warrior /AV forum Mod

I just had my rig not start because on of my 2 sticks of Ram went bad. Try your Ram one stick at a time.
    Neera: The wraith will not allow us to escape.
    Sheppard: Yeah, well I try not to let them tell me what I can and can't do.
    Neera: You do not fear them?
    Sheppard: The wraith, nah. Now clowns that's another story. They scare the crap out of me.

27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Porthos, even if a stick of RAM was bad, wouldn't the fact that the board didn't give a POST code with no RAM inserted be a sign the board is bad? I guess stranger things have happened...just curious...?
  29. Malware Warrior /AV forum Mod

Thats usually the case. I almost crapped my pants when I tried to start my computer without RAM and No beeps. I dont remember having a MB speaker for post beeps. Stuck one stick and it worked.

Got my new sticks in now.
    Neera: The wraith will not allow us to escape.
    Sheppard: Yeah, well I try not to let them tell me what I can and can't do.
    Neera: You do not fear them?
    Sheppard: The wraith, nah. Now clowns that's another story. They scare the crap out of me.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo