Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

PC Upgrade - i5 LGA1155 or i7 LGA2011

Hi,

I am considering upgrading my old Q6600 / U320 SCSI HD / 4GB 1050mhz RAM and wanted some advice.

Do I go for...

i7-3820 LGA2011
    Gigabyte X79-UD3
    Geil EVO 16GB 2400mhz Quad Channel
    2 x 1TB SATA III 6GB 64mb cache (Raid 1 Mirror)

@ £650.00

or

i5-2500K LGA1155
    ASRock Z77 Pro4
    Geil EVO 16GB 2400mhz Dual Channel

@ £500.00

or

If I am prepared to spend @ £600.00 - £650.00

Perhaps increase the i5 system to 32GB 2400mhz Dual Channel?

-------------------------

Now I know the i5-2500K is loved by overclockers and I currently OC my Q6600 to 3.00ghz and intend to overclock my new rig a little perhaps @4-4.5ghz. (but nothing major!)

However, I do not game like I used to and am not interested in getting a new GFX card let alone multiple, I have a GTX260 which I feel is still OK for the odd game I play and could always buy a 2nd one off eBay and SLi them for very little money!

What I use my PC for mainly is multi-tasking -> music creation / website coding / audio ripping, editing & streaming / email / web surfing / photo editing (occasionally) so will probably have open the following all at once...

Facebook,
    A YouTube Video Tutorial
    1 or 2 DAW's from the following (EnergyXT, Presonus Studio One V2, Reaper, FL Studio, Ableton or perhaps Cubase if I decide to buy it) and of course the VST's they may be using.
    SoundForge WAV Editor
    ShoutCast / WinAmp
    Outlook Email
    Windows Media Player,
    A text editor (SourceEdit) while working on my website
    FTP (FileZilla)
    Maybe a search page as well as perhaps a few other web pages!
    Plus occasionally Photoshop

----------------

So is the quad channel memory and HT on an i7 a better choice for this type of usage?

I only upgrade @ 5 years and this rig has served me well for nearly 7 as I built it as a Vista machine in 2006 but currently run Win7!, I don't want that pile of poo Windows 8, so will be sticking with my Win7 Ultimate OS.

As DAW's improve they require more and more resources and memory I beleive is key to enable them to not have to disk cache so often eliminating clicks and glitches in playback when you have a load of VST instruments and effects on the go.

I also find putting non-matched memory can make a machine very unstable and so think it best to get a decent amount that are matched together initially, rather than trying to add more later that will either be unstable or mean having to discard any exisitng memory and buy duplicate again!

Your input is appreciated.

Many thanks,

1DMF
    Free MP3 Dance Music Downloads

To err is human; To really balls things up you need Microsoft!
  3. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

I would go with I7 because of the HT and increased cache, especially when you are working with so many (resource-heavy) programs.
    Don't have enough experience with OC to include this as a factor.

Don't know how much difference there will be with 16GB and 32GB, but if you think the price is fair for the additional 16GB, then why not?
    You are right you also have to think about if you want to run dual channel ram.
    If the 16GB is in 2x8 module it might be more expensive to upgrade them to 2x16 later.

One thing that came to my mind is which sound card you are using? just thinking it might me worthwhile to get an external card instead of the on-board.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I would go with the i7 as well.

I doubt you would see any difference between 16gb and 32gb of memory.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  7. Contributing User

I think looking at it, I might as well go I7. though I will probably only get 16GB if I do as there are no 4 x 8GB quad channel kits available that I could find and have been told that 32GB is a bit OTT!

I am sticking with the onboard sound, for the time being and it will do fine for now, as it is in my old rig, but I am running ASIO ;-)

So it's bypassing the MS wavetable crap and drivers!

I might look at getting external ASIO a bit later on, I wasn't really looking to upgrade, it's just my machine has got a bit unstable after 7 years and although a pain to rebuild and re-install, it would be good to clear out the crap that's been insitalled - uninstalled, downloaded and alike over the years.

Start afresh with a new decent spec'd PC and clean install.

Now I know what VSTs I use, DAWs etc, I can get rid of the chaff I've gathered over time with trials and light versions. (LE)

Which should then see me though the next 7+ years.

Well if MS fix Windows that is? If they continue down the path of Windows 8 - I think it could be time for an iMac!

9. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code

Windows 8 is not significantly different from Windows 7 except for the change to the start menu. However, the new start interface will force you to use two features more extensively than you probably have in the past:
    1) docking your most-used programs to the task bar
    2) starting uncommonly used programs by typing part of their name

Both features are present in Windows 7 too, but many people did not use them because they were so used to having a start menu. However, together those two features provide a more efficient and useful interface than the start menu.
    PHP FAQ

Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  11. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Hmm funny, no wonder I was confused. The Danish translation has this in the description:

1. 2 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM-sokler understøtter op til 32 GB systemhukommelse
    2. 4-kanals hukommelsesarkitektur
    Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    2) starting uncommonly used programs by typing part of their name

Both features are present in Windows 7 too, but many people did not use them because they were so used to having a start menu.
    I thought the "search" field was a great addition to the start menu, as a semi-replacement to the run command. Maybe I'm just too geeky.
  13. Contributing User

Ok thanks for the input, though I don't want to get into a war over Win 8 OS.

Windows 8 is total disgusting pile of poo, it looks ugly, runs crap in the background you don't want, apps that are nearly imposible to work out how to close and work better on touch screen devices which I don't want; any one touches my nice shiny monitor gets a clip round the ear.

I know this from having installed several Windows 8 machines at work and fixed countless users Windows 8 machines via remote support session who can no longer do their job nor operate their computer due to these aweful changes.

You can install something like Pokki which will give back your 'start menu' and is not a bad fix for Windows 8.

But the day I have to start installing third party apps to fix my OS provider, is when it is time to change my OS provider.

This is my opinion, of which I am entitiled and it is formed from first hand knowledge of the OS. I refuse to run Windows 8 OS on my own PC and no one is going to convince me otherwise regardless of their personal opinion.

So I welcome all input on my possible new PC specifications, but please no more discussion about that crappy OS Windows 8, this is not part of my question or the equasion at hand.

Many thanks,
    1DMF

15. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by 1DMF
    i7-3820 LGA2011
    Gigabyte X79-UD3
    Geil EVO 16GB 2400mhz Quad Channel
    i7 is awesome - but with socket 2011 you will waste alot of money for the mainboard.

Intel® Core™ i7-3770K is my one, think its nearly as good as the 3820, but you have 10x more mainboards, and alot of them are cheaper
  17. Contributing User

But then you only get dual channel not quad channel memory?

Dunno, is there a big difference between them?

19. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code

I've never used quad channel memory before, but everything I've read on the matter suggests that the difference is totally negligible. However, that isn't to say there won't be performance differences between the two sockets for other reasons. Generally speaking the newer part is always going to be faster and cost more. It's just a matter of how much faster and how much more it costs, and how much that extra speed is worth to you.
    PHP FAQ

21. Contributing User

Yup, that is normally the bottom line.

I went back and looked at getting just dual channel 16GB with an i7 LGA 1155 , a Z77 mobo plus threw in a cooler, as I need a new one and I save @ £70.00 vs my LGA2011 spec.

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.50GHz (Ivybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor (77W) - OEM £269.99

GeIL EVO Veloce Frost White 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-19200C11 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit (GEW316GB2400C11ADC) £119.99

Gigabyte Z77-DS3H Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard £75.98

Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache - OEM (WD10EZRX) **SINGLE PLATTER** HDD £53.99 x 2 = £107.98

Cooler Master TPC-800 CPU-Cooler (Socket 775 / 1155 / 1156 / 1366 / 2011 / AM2 / AM2+ / AM3 / FM1 / FM2) £41.99

Total with deliver = £627.32
    Or for @ £70.00 more I get the LGA2011 with quad channel

Intel Core i7-3820 3.60GHz (Sandybridge-E) Socket LGA2011 Processor - OEM £215.99

Gigabyte X79-UD3 Intel X79 (Socket 2011) DDR3 Motherboard £179.99

GeIL EVO Veloce Hot-Rod Red 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 PC3-19200C11 2400MHz Quad Channel Kit (GEV316GB2400C11AQC) £139.99

Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache - OEM (WD10EZRX) **SINGLE PLATTER** HDD £53.99 x 2 = £107.98

Cooler Master TPC-800 CPU-Cooler (Socket 775 / 1155 / 1156 / 1366 / 2011 / AM2 / AM2+ / AM3 / FM1 / FM2) £41.99

Total with deliver = £697.33
    So although the X79 Mobo is £104.00 more than the Z77 Mobo, the Ivybridge i7 LGA1155 is more than the Sandybridge-E i7 LGA2011 and I have read that Sandybridge overclock better staying cooler than Ivybridge because the Ivybridge overheats easier due to the 22nm cores vs the Sandybridge's 32nm cores.

Perhaps I'll wait till the Mobo's come down in price.

Then again many would spend @ £200.00 on their Mobo when building a new rig anyway, so it's not that big a deal and in the grand scheme of things, is £70.00 that much of a saving?

Plus on top of this I will then have..

1 x Asus P5Q-WS workstation Mobo
    1 x Intel Q6600 Core2Quad (with copper cooler)
    1 x 15,000 rpm 36GB SCSI (OS) HDD
    1 x 10,000 rpm 136GB SCSI (data) HDD
    1 x Adaptec U320 133mhz PCI-X SCSI controller
    1 x SCSI cable
    4 x 1GB OCZ 1050mhz RAM

Which I will be replacing, so some of the cost of the upgrade is going to be mitigated with the sale of these components.

Does anyone have any input as to how much I might get on these second hand parts?

Cheers,
    1DMF
    Last edited by 1DMF; February 28th, 2013 at 04:22 AM.

23. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code

You could probably get £15-£30 for the processor and 10k drive (each). The 15k drive might be worth a little more.

The motherboard will probably be a hard sell; not that it has no value, but that there isn't much of a market for used boards like that. I have no idea what you could get for it.

The RAM would cost more than ship to someone than it's worth.
    PHP FAQ

25. Contributing User

I was hoping to get @ £100-£150 for the lot.

Upsetting considering it cost over £1,000 when bought new!

The SCSI cable alone cost £85.00!

But it is 7 years old and the SCSI is even older as I had that in my old Pentium 4 rig though in standard PCI 33mhz slot only in this Asus workstation board did it run @ full spec due to a PCI-X 133mhz slot!

27. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code

That's not too far off, you can probably get something close to £100 for it. You might be able to get more for it if you sell the system as a whole rather than parting it out considering the difficulty of finding buyers for some of the components individually.
    PHP FAQ

29. No Profile Picture

The I7 clearly has better cache and it has one thing the I5 does not have hyperthreading. If you are running tons of software a better processor will pay for itself in the long run.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo