1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

PCI eSATA Ports -OR- SATA to eSATA Ports

Hello All,

I bought a Rosewill HDD Docking Station a while back and just recently got around to getting it hooked up.
    This one is the 2nd one I bought seeing I like the first one so much. The 1st one I got I use at work everyday
    connected through eSATA to my Dell Laptop's D-Dock Docking Station. When I went to get it setup at home
    on my desktop I realized I didn't have an eSATA port on it (I shoulda known that, I wasn't even thinking... ).

Anyway, I was checking on Newegg and saw 2 different options for what I need and I was wondering if there is
    an advantage of one over another.
    First) It is a simple 2 Port eSATA Bracket that would connect to an open slot on the back of the Desktop where
    a normal PCI slotted device would go, but instead of a PCI Slot Chip it just has 2 normal SATA plugs coming
    out of the back of the bracket then plug them into an open SATA port on the Motherboard.
    Sorry, I tried to post a link to what I am talking about but apparently new users are not allowed....

Second) The second option is to go with a eSATA PCI Card that would just plug into a open PCI Chip Slot.

If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free.

Thanks in Advance,
    Matt
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Assuming your motherboard has free SATA ports on it, the first option would make a lot more sense to me. If it doesn't, then it's not really an option.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture

Hey E-Oreo, thanks for the quick reply...

Yea, sorry I thought I mentioned that. Yea I have a couple open SATA Ports on the motherboard.

Right, I guess that makes more sense huh, basically SATA to SATA with an adapter in between. I just wasn't sure if there was any speed advantage or what not going through a PCI Slot.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks Again,
    Matt
  7. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code

As far as I know sata and esata are essentially the same port electrically, the adapter doesn't have any active electronics in it, it's just a physical form factor adapter.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  9. No Profile Picture

Yea that makes sense... And for about $20-$30 bucks more for one that plugs into a PCI Port compared to just the "Switch/Adapter Bracket" which is avg around $2 to $10 bucks.

I'm gona go with the straight eSATA (external ports) to SATA (on Motherboard) Bracket.

Thanks again for your replies E-Oreo!

Thanks,
    Matt
  11. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

Just make sure the bracket connector adapter fits your e-sata cable.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo