1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Portable Hard Disk Doesnt Boot

I have a Segeta 1TB portable hard disk, but since few weeks its not responding very well or I should say not at all. When I connect it with Windows it gets a hard drive (shows as Local disk) but cant get into it. when i connect it with my ubuntu it says some error message like followings,

"
    Error mounting: mount exited with exit code 13: ntfs_attr_pread_i: ntfs_pread failed: Input/output error
    Failed to read NTFS $Bitmap: Input/output error
    NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a
    SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows
    then reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f parameter is very
    important! If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first activate
    it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory, (e.g.
    /dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation
    for more details
    "

both cases it makes some bip bip sound or keep blinking a light. Some times i dont even get the connection i though it might be a cable problem so i changed a cable, but even its changed i am having the above problem.

Thanks in advance, I really need to get this thing going there are some important documents i need to get.
  3. No Profile Picture

Antivirus

Do you have an antivirus installed? I suggest you to install a good antivirus in your system . There are many antivirus available that gives best security. I personally use eScan antivirus. It has also got free trail and now it is available with cloud security.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by singhnalin
    Do you have an antivirus installed? I suggest you to install a good antivirus in your system . There are many antivirus available that gives best security. I personally use eScan antivirus. It has also got free trail and now it is available with cloud security.

Yes i have an antivirus and its a good one too. but how could i recover my hard disk with an antivirus?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

If it is still showing up in Windows, I suggest running the chkdsk /f command on that drive to see the errors can be fixed on it.
    If it isn't showing up , you may want to try removing the Harddrive from its enclosure and hooking it up directly to see if chkdsk can be run then.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo