1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Angry Power Supply error? Strange reset

Hello everybody!

I'm having some strange issues here.

I have a Shark Net Power Supply (Chinese made) replacing my old Generic Power Supply from Leven (Case factory, came with my case).

I'm running both Backtrack and Windows XP, the first may sometimes hang when trying to reboot.

What's the output? NOTHING. Display goes off, CD drive seems to get off too, fans got off, but there's still power on the main light (the HDD one).

On windows, this always happens. Same output.

Sometimes I just force to turn off by pressing the button for 3 secs. This happened on BOTH power supplies. WTH is going on?

The generic one was 500w, this one is 600w (nominal), the 600w one is new, just unpacked it 3 days ago.

Also, sometimes I just turn off the PC by unplugging the A/C cable, on reconnect this could cause two different things:

Old Supply: Power came again without pressing the power button, for a second, then went off again. Lights turned on, CD drive tried to start (?)

New Supply: Nothing. On pressing power button, makes a "fake" satart. Starts for some seconds then reboot (On INtel Bios Display).

Some ideas, guys?

If you get to read something like "Crazy man sets on fire and entire building screaming 'I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE, GOD WHY DO YOU HATE ME????'" on your local newspaper, consider your help to be a little bit late. But also, may come in handy for the next pyro-coder.
    Mauro Eldritch - From the fields of the nephilim...
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

The different behavior when you reconnect the power cable isn't unusual or a problem.

What's the output? NOTHING. Display goes off, CD drive seems to get off too, fans got off, but there's still power on the main light (the HDD one).
    Does this same behavior happen in Backtrack too? It almost sounds like Windows is hibernating or sleeping (or at least trying to) to me.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Backtrack just goes off normally. I haven thought so. It sounds pretty like it.

Also, imagine this supply does not have to mantain a huge equipment, just a E220 proc, a DG31PR mobo and a GeForce 8400 GS (Oldie model).

That's why this problem is getting me so frustrated.
    Mauro Eldritch - From the fields of the nephilim...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo