1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Which Printer Do You Recommend ?

Howdy,

I want to buy a printer but I have no experience which type of printer (Inkjet or Laser) and which brand and it's model is suitable for my needs. I will tell you what I want to do with my printer and you can recommend me the perfect one for me.
    I have already read your website's printer guide so it's no good you refering me to your website's printer guide.

I want to print-out web-templates (cool designs), back-grounds.

I want to print-out webpages (that display logos, images, etc.).

I want to print-out webpages (that display picture galleries).

I want to print-out webpages that are search result pages with images.

I want to print-out webpages (dating, marriage, etc. match-makers) that advertise people's profiles with text and photo-images.

I want to print-out webpages that have small images like these but the images should be printed-out enlarged in good quality.

I will be printing-out my own websites and not other peoples'.

Now, as you can see, I want a printer that will be able to print-out both text and peoples' photoh-images on A4 paper so I can turn the papers into leaflets. Better if it can print-out on A3 paper so I can create colourful posters.

I also want the ink to last long and be low cost because I really don't want to spend on ink more than 1 pence (British) per paper.
    I think 1 pence = 1.65 cent (just less than 2 cents).

I have been reading printer guides and I understood that dedicated photo printers are not for me because they can't print-out text nor can they print on normal paper but require special "photo-papers" and these are smaller than A4 in size plus expensive.
    I also understood that laser printers are not good to print-out images and photohs.
    So, that leaves me with Injet Printers even if they are slower than laser printers.
    Now, amongst the Inkjet Printers, I don't know which type is suitable for me.

I don't like the sound of Dye because they take too long to dry and more likely to smudge.
    Maybe, Pigments are suitable for me ?
    And, since "compatible ink cartridges" (non-brands) are cheaper and equal in quality to "brand ink cartridges" then I guess it's best I buy an Inkjet Printer that can use all sorts of or atleast more than one sort of "compatible ink cartridges" (non-brands) so I can test different companies' "compatible ink cartridges" (non-brands).
    From what I've been reading on :
    http://www.valueshop.co.uk/guide-to-ink-cartridges.asp
    http://www.valueshop.co.uk/guide-to-buying-printer.asp
    http://www.valueshop.co.uk/guide-to-ink-cartridges.asp
    it seems it is best that my printer does not have a 'fixed print head".

Q1. What happens when colour ink cartridge runs-out of ink ?
    Do I have to replace the whole cartridge ? Wouldn't that be expensive ? Isn't it best to just get a cartridge where I can refill ink ?
    This way, I only spend money on ink and not on both (ink plus the cartridge).
    I don't know what's best for me so please advise.

Q2. So now, which non-duplex Inkjet colour Printer do you recommend that can use more than one company's "compatible Pigment ink cartridges" (non-brands) and print-on single side on both A4 and A3 normal, standard (non-photoh papers) papers ?
    I mean, which brand and model (printer) do you recommend which is itself low cost plus it has 4 separate colour cartridges where it's ink/cartridge/toner are low cost too and longer lasting and cheaper to replace/refill ?

Q3. So now, which duplex Inkjet colour Printer do you recommend that can use more than one company's "compatible Pigment ink cartridges" (non-brands) and print-on both sides on both A4 and A3 normal, standard (non-photoh papers) papers ?
    I mean, which brand and model (printer) do you recommend which is itself low plus it has 4 separate colour cartridges where it's cost plus it's ink/cartridge/toner are low cost too and longer lasting and cheaper to replace/refill ?

Q4. And, which non-duplex Inkjet colour Printer do you recommend that can use more than one company's "compatible Pigment ink cartridges" (non-brands) and print-on just on single side on just A4 normal, standard (non-photoh papers) papers ?
    I mean, which brand and model (printer) do you recommend which is itself low cost plus plus it has 4 separate colour cartridges where it's ink/cartridge/toner are low cost too and longer lasting and cheaper to replace/refill ?

Q5. And, which duplex Inkjet colour Printer do you recommend that can use more than one company's "compatible Pigment ink cartridges" (non-brands) and print-on both sides on just A4 normal, standard (non-photoh papers) papers ?
    I mean, which brand and model (printer) do you recommend which is itself low cost plus plus it has 4 (red, green, blue, black) separate colour cartridges where it's ink/cartridge/toner are low cost too and longer lasting and cheaper to replace/refill ?

Q6. Regarding the coloured inks, what is the difference between ink cartridge, toner, re-filled, manufactured, remanufactures ?

Q7. Anything else I should know ?

Oh by the way, if it's a choice between choosing a printer that is fast but low quality printing or a printer that is slow but prints good quality then I'd go for the latter. But, ofcourse, I prefer a printer that can do both (print fast and good quality text and phots, images, logos, animations, etc.).

Reply asap because I need to buy one asap.

Thanx
  3. Infernal Technomancer
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Okay, if you want the lowest price per page, then go with an color laser printer-- higher up-front expense, but the cartridges last longer and are cheaper. Quality is dependant on how much you want to pay.

Unfortunately, many generic inkjet inks are not up to par with their branded counterparts... you have to be careful there. Refilling cartridges is a hit-and-miss affair as well-- sometimes it works for you, other times it's a disaster. An advantage to using new cartridges is you get a new set of nozzles at the same time.

If you go with an inkjet, then make sure it has seperate color cartridges (there should be at least four seperate cartridges-- Magenta (or Red), Yellow, Cyan (or Blue) and Black), though some photo-quality printers use more. If you have only two cartridges, a color and a black, then you lose money because you don't always use all the colors at the same rate.

If you plan on doing a lot of this, then you may look into a contract with your local printshop-- it may be cheaper for you in the long run, though inkjets generally work better (with less problems and need for cleaning cycles, etc) if they are used often.
    Asker of questions and all-around annoying guy.

For difficult hardware problems, go to the Hard Side™-- DevHardware Forums
  5. No Profile Picture

As long as I'm here, I may as well get a recommendation on printers. I have an HP Officejet Pro 8500A Premium. It's a fine printer but not for my needs.

I have a startup, Polyhedron Games LLC and I'm printing out booklet products, flyers, advertising, that sort of thing. As a startup, funds are limited but this printer is glacial and the ink needs time to dry.

So, I'm looking to replace it and since my business deals with roleplaying games, I'm thinking of a large bed all-in-one printer. It needs to duplex and from what I've been able to gather, Epson might be my best bet. I'm looking at maybe $400 max.

Thanks.
  7. No Profile Picture

i am using Epson WorkFotce 845 all in one printer. it is a really good printer
    but you can also go for HP officejet Pro 8600
  9. No Profile Picture

Canon is the best when it comes to Printer.Have very good experience using it.
  11. No Profile Picture

Yes, Epson has wide range of printer. You can choose according to your choice.
  13. No Profile Picture

Printer

I se HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus e-All-in-One Printer for printing in our office.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

For all your requirement Canon All in one printer is best.
  17. No Profile Picture

I have had a Canon Pixma iP4200 for some years now, and it's excellent.
    I recommend it.
  19. No Profile Picture

I will definitely recommend to use Canon but check thoroughly the country of origin of the printer. Better if it was made in Japan and not in China (no offence
  21. No Profile Picture

All the recommendations are well. I want add some more best at this time only few in my minds Brother HL-5450DN, Brother HL-6180DW, HP LaserJet Enterprise 500 Color Printer M551dn and the last but not least is Samsung CLP-415NW. I know that it's not enough but must help to choose one best.
  23. Contributing User

You guys do realize this is a post from 2005?
    Post to Facebook using a Nokia 3310

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo