1. Me likey breadsticks...
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Case Recommendation Requested...

As well as being a developer, I'm a pretty hardcore gamer, and while the temperature has been pretty high lately my comp has been overheating causing crashes during games.

I'm looking into getting a new case with better cooling so if anyone has any preferences or advice let me know.

Here's what I'm partial to so far:
    -Mid-tower
    -Clean design, preferably aluminum with good air flow (doesn't necessarily need the cool clear windows to look inside)
    -Good accessibility, bonus if motherboard sits on a slide out tray
    -Price between $1 - $200 (without power supply)

So far I've been looking at the coolermaster and lian li cases, but any suggestions are welcome. Also any suggestions for a high quality power supply (between $50 and $100, I've seen some where you can adjust fan RPMs when it's cooler and you want to reduce noise) and also any good, durable additional case peripherals for cooling.

Once again, any reasonable suggestions welcome, I'm not looking to build a refrigeration unit, or resorting to liquid cooling or any hard core case mods, but something reasonable that may be a little pricey, but something that will work without problems for the long term.

-b
    PostgreSQL, it's what's for dinner...
  3. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Lian Li makes some nice higher end aluminum cases. I personally like the ThermalTake Xaser, but it may be a bit flashy for you. It comes with fans too.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20030804/index.html
    and
    http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20030428/index.html
    are a couple reviews of a large number of cases, just to see what is out there.

Power supply wise, antec makes good ones, and the TruePower series has adjustable fan speed depending on load. For ultra quiet, check out Zalman. THey also make a very quiet (and large) heat sink. If you want fans that are quiet, check out the vantech stealth line.
    Last edited by karsh44; September 23rd, 2003 at 06:47 PM.
  5. Me likey breadsticks...

Thanks, exactly the type of stuff I was looking for.
    PostgreSQL, it's what's for dinner...
  7. Capt'n
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

bah, I just have one of those 18 bay dual 300Watt server boxes on little wheels and a total of 12 fans if you include those two Antec PCI fans to keep the dual 1.2Ghz Althlon chips cool. I think the case was about $300 a couple years ago. Damn case almost cost as much as the mobo...
  9. No Profile Picture
    The Dude Abides

I've always been a big fan of Enlight cases. Models 7237 and 7250 come to mind, not positive on the numbers. They are just standard midtowers, very sturdy, easy access, good powersupplies, nice looking case.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo