1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

RJ45 Adapter Converter vs ethernet card

I'm setting up an old PC (dual boot W95/W98SE) & I need to connect it to my virgin cable modem.

I've found ethernet cards on ebay but have also seen a USB 2.0 To Fast Ethernet Network RJ45 Adapter Converter.

What are the pros/cons of each of them? Is there any reason one's more suitable/better than the other?

TIA
    Jeff
    Last edited by jifjaf; December 4th, 2010 at 05:41 AM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

If you're running Windows 98 and 95 your biggest concern should be drivers.

You're more likely to run into driver problems with a USB device than with a physical card, but either way you're very likely to run into problems (Windows 95 didn't support USB natively, so you would need to make sure you have the update that adds it). Most modern devices are not released with drivers for operating systems that old, nor are they tested with them.

Also on a computer that old you're probably using USB 1.1. On a LAN that will definitely be a bottleneck, for an internet connection it may or may not be depending on how fast your ISP is.

Your best bet is to look for a very old card and check online before buying it to make sure you can find and download the drivers you need. Just because a device says it supports a particular operating system doesn't mean you can actually find the drivers you need.
    Last edited by E-Oreo; December 4th, 2010 at 08:44 AM.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hi, thanks for your advice.

I've just been given an ethernet PCI LAN adapter card so that resolves my question about ethernet or USB.

It says on the box that it supports drivers for Win 98 through to Win 7, but it might not work with such old hardware.....

p.s I only just responded to your reply 'cause I didn't get an email from devshed telling me i'd got a response to my post, even though i've got it set up to email me.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo