1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

SATA Hard Drive Issues

I have 2 hard drives in my older computer. The newest one is a 2TB Seagate SATA drive which is running in IDE mode (only way I could get my new motherboard to recognize it). I am trying to connect an older SATA drive, a WD 500GB, which wasn't being recognized by the previous motherboard recently, and it isn't recognized by the new motherboard either.

When I plug in the 500GB into the SATA 2 port, it still isn't being recognized. The drive feels like it is spinning up, so I don't think its not getting power (the keyed edge of the power seems to have been broken off though). I tried two different SATA cables as well, with no luck.

Does anyone have any idea how I might be able to get this drive to recognize? I only need to get it running once, Im planning to copy everything off it and scrap it.
  3. They're coming to take me away

Have you checked BIOS? There may be an option for the SATA ports disabling/enabling them.
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by hiker
    Have you checked BIOS? There may be an option for the SATA ports disabling/enabling them.
    The only thing I had found when I was looking for a way to get the 2TB drive to recognize, was an option SATA-IDE mode, or something like that. It sees that drive as Primary IDE Master. I didn't find anything about enabling specific SATA ports
  7. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

That sounds a lot like a dead drive to me. If I were you I would try to find a third system to try it with, and if it still doesn't work there you can be pretty sure its dead.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  9. No Profile Picture

You can solve this problem http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124006

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo