Pentium 4 @ 2.4 GHz
    Server Class Motherboard (ASUS)
    1 GB Ram
    4 x 80 GB 6B IDE MD w/ 8MB CACHE
    CD - Burner
    ADAPTEC 2400 A IDE RAID - 5 Controller Card
    Floppy / Mouse
    Hot Swappable Back Plane

Can anyone suggest a place where I can buy one online? I looked through pricewatch but it is hard to find one with the exact specs needed. Guess I should email a couple of the vendors who sell on pricewatch.

I have never built a server but have built tons of pc's over the years. Is it a lot more difficult to set up the raid card and HD's if I just bought all the components seperately? I know now I can find complete desktop pcs assembled cheaper than buying the parts and assembling myself.

Thanks,
    GB
  3. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

If you have specific parts and specs you want on the server, your best bet will be doing it yourself. If you are experienced with building pc's, the server shouldn't be much of a challenge. The alternative to get your specifics would be to have a vendor build you one, but that would almost certainly be more expensive.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I would like to build one myself just because I never did one. I will see how much I can save first.

Can you tell me what kind of case I should use? I am not familiar with the backplane and raid setup and see tower, 2U, 3U, rackmount etc. etc. and I am not sure what to get?

Thanks,
    George

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo