1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Unhappy shorted psu wires - will mobo/processor still funciton well?

hi,

there was an accident last night and my psu 5.0v line was shorted to its nearby ground wire due to a defective floppy drive. the wires got melted and consequently smoke came out due to the melted wires.

the connection that i have was psu -> cd-rw -> dvd-rom -> floppy. the wires that melted were those found in between the dvd-rom and floppy only.

my power supply is a hec 475w psu and my processor is axp 2100.

will my mother board/processor still function properly? i am very terrified by the situation.

after using motherboard monitor version 5.3.5.0, i found out that the core 1 voltage is just 0.08v?!?! and the reading of my processor % usage is always 0%!

is my motherboard/processor already doomed to failure?

the pc still runs, the only problem is that why is the mbm reading like this? this is the first time i used mbm so i do have a basis for comparison...

thanks...

3. Second highest poster :p
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I hope you have replaced the power supply since this incident. Sorting out the power wires would cause damage inside the power supply. Generally other components should not be effected but the power supply should always be replaced.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo