1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I have posted a message from Dell on the website.
  2. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by doubleohwhat
    I have posted a message from Dell on the website.

Which website?
  3. No Profile Picture

dellverticalline site
  4. Providing fuel for space ships
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by rjs200
    Which website?
    Heres a link to it ==> http://dellverticalline.com/
    The No Ma'am commandments:

1.) It is O.K. to call hooters 'knockers' and sometimes snack trays
    2.) It is wrong to be French
    3.) It is O.K. to put all bad people in a giant meat grinder
    4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
    5.) It is O.K. to drive a gas guzzler if it helps you get babes
    6.) Everyone should car pool but me
    7.) Bring back the word 'stewardesses'
    8.) Synchronized swimming is not a sport
    9.) Mud wrestling is a sport
  5. No Profile Picture

Yep,
    throwing my hat into the pile, same issue.

On chat now, we'll see!
  6. No Profile Picture

Good idea Revsmith -- copying the posts.

This is a copy of my post to dellverticalline.com:

About a year and half after receiving my Inspiron 9200, I began to notice stuck pixel lines running vertically across my screen. They multiplied in time and now I must have about three dozen lines. When I called Dell to tell them about this new problem -- I'd been having serious problems with my DVD burner from day one -- the rep said that I'd be better off buying a new computer, and that I shouldn't have abused this one (!) My computer has been sitting on a desk ever since I've had it and it's been treated with tender loving care. Before this I had a Toshiba for about five years which went from the US to Europe numerous times and never did I have a problem with it. Neither the screen nor the DVD burner issue has ever been resolved. Sometimes when trying to burn a DVD my system can't find the drive. And sometimes when it appears that I have successfully burned something, the files have not really transferred. After losing files I was trying to archive, I now check everything on my wife's computer.

Also wondering -- anybody else out there will DVD drive problems on the 9200 (mine's the NEC ND-6500A)?
  7. No Profile Picture

Hey DoubleO,

Yesterday I posted my case on dellverticalline.com. In return I got the e-mail with a link to later update my cade. Unfortunately the link doesn't work -- it goes to someone else's post!

Tried to return an e-mail to you but it's not getting through.
  8. No Profile Picture

Lightbulb How I fixed the lines on my Inspiron 8000 screen with a beer koozy:

I bought my inspiron after the turn of the century. It has been good to me for all these years. Last week I noticed a line starting to show, first green then red. It would go away when I would move the screen in certain directions, so it was most likely a connection problem. I opened the screen bezel and checked the ribbon cable connections. Everything seemed to be square. When I reassembled the screen the lines were still there, but disappearing with more frequency. Today a new line showed up and I had enough of this. I opened the bezel 1 and removed the screen from itís mounting brackets 2. I turned the computer on to find the short. The lines where right in the middle of the screen, under the latch. The screen itself has itís inputs along the top (in the form of what seem like) ribbon cable connections covered with a transparent plastic medium. I found when I pressed on this medium above the lines, they would disappear. So It seems the connection is separating with time. So I cut up one of those thin beer koozys (any soft springy foam substance will do) and taped 2 layers behind the screen where the short was occurring. I buttoned up the bezel and guess what, no lines. This fix works for me, my laptop is not worth the 200 USD for the new screen, and itís warranty is five or six years overdue. I hope this helps somebody. Good Luck, Eric.

1. Four screws under the four rubber pads at the top, two screws under the plastic disks next to the hinges. Bezel snaps off.
    2. Six tiny screws on the metal mount along the sides (3 per). Careful not to let the screen fall out, and be very careful with the ribbon cable at the bottom.
  9. No Profile Picture

Sorry about the website trouble. It's a known issue but I really just haven't had the time lately to fix it.
  10. No Profile Picture

Hey guys, I sent my laptop off to Dell Customer Advocate "Larry" two weeks ago and got it back last night. After he got the laptop in and booted it up, the vertical lines were apparent, and he replied to me that their "engineers would like to use the panel for further testing. I hope you don't mind, but I am going to replace the LCD to prevent any delay in getting the computer back to you." No sir, don't mind at all. Long story short, I now have the laptop back, and a vertical line free LCD panel. Awesome!
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by BradBrening
    It looks like this issue is gaining traction. An article on today's Register describes the problem:

Ah - no linking. Sorry. Anyway, if you go to TheRegister dot com, you'll see there is an article describing this problem.
    Can you PM me the link I cant seam to find it. On the TheRegister
  12. No Profile Picture

Thumbs down

Mine has gotten so bad I have full blocks taking up my screen oth both sides so I am almost covered. It has started to flash and dance about now colour has darkened and I get massive head aches from my screen now this is so upsetting.

I have gotten no where with Dell. I bought my system in Canada, but I am in the UK now so niether side will take the time to help me. I am so frustrated I dont have the money to replace my sytem let alone the screen.

I am willing to send any emails or snail mail needed just send me the addys.
  13. No Profile Picture

I posted on the Dell forum but I doubt it will do any good
  14. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I just got my first vertical red line down the right side of my Dell Inspiron 9300. It's not that bad but reading this thread I realize it could get worse. I bought this refurbed laptop used, I also moved to Lima, Peru. So I really have no option when it comes to getting a free repair.

I'll be in the USA for 2 weeks in mid April. I am wondering if anyone knows a decent place online or otherwise to buy a replacement WUXGA 17" widescreen display. And is it difficult to replace for someone who has built regular desktop PC's without issue?

I'm willing to spend $300-400 on a new display instead of buying a new laptop. A laptop of this caliber still runs $1000 or so. Anyway, Dell charges around $500 for the display, are there any decent Dell parts stores anyone can recommend in the Miami or Philly area? Or online stores?

Thanks!
  15. No Profile Picture

Same Problem on Inspiron 8600

Another instance of the problem here.

My Inspiron 8600, purchased directly from Dell 12/2004 just developed a red vertical line on the right of the screen on 3/26/2007. Like many others mentioned here (and at dellverticalline dot com) mine has been used solely as a desktop and treated very well. So far, it's just the one 1-pixel vertical line. Not amused.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo