1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Letter to Dell

Sure I will. I have written to Claman with a copy to Michael Dell in Texas. Shouldn't think that Mr Dell will ever get to read it, but if Claman knows he has a copy he may just be inspired to reply.
    My deep irritation comes from buying the Dell which they advised would be the best for the stuff I do - I told them my priority was a good clear screen - I don't need a gaming machine! The 9300 was their recommendation and I went with it although it could do a whole lot more than I would ever need it to.
    One thing it won't do though - bring in updates for virus protectors. I'm now on my third company- they work for a couple of months then some hidden gizmo switches itself off and I start getting continual "you are up to date" messages. McAfee (supplied) stopped; McAfee purchased direct stopped; McAfee free from AOL stopped; bought Norton, which also stopped ... a continual aggravation and a fault nobody can discover or rectify. With yet another company now but for how long I can't say.
    KBO
  3. No Profile Picture

Inspiron screen

Yes I will be happy to let you know what happens/if anything happens. Don't hold your breath though ... this may take some time.
    In the end I wrote to Josh Claman with a copy to Michael Dell, so Claman may not be so inclined to trash it when he sees that.
    KBO
    Sorry you got this twice .. for some reason the other post didn't show when I checked.
  5. Providing fuel for space ships
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by KBO
    Yes I will be happy to let you know what happens/if anything happens.
    Thanks, appreciated.
    The No Ma'am commandments:

1.) It is O.K. to call hooters 'knockers' and sometimes snack trays
    2.) It is wrong to be French
    3.) It is O.K. to put all bad people in a giant meat grinder
    4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
    5.) It is O.K. to drive a gas guzzler if it helps you get babes
    6.) Everyone should car pool but me
    7.) Bring back the word 'stewardesses'
    8.) Synchronized swimming is not a sport
    9.) Mud wrestling is a sport
  7. No Profile Picture

aitken325i Dell

Hi there,
    Dell rang me yesterday to say they are making a one-off, one-time only, goodwill gesture. An engineer will call here Thursday to fix in a new screen with 3 month warranty.
    KBO
  9. Providing fuel for space ships

That's good news, KBO. Looks like your letter done the trick.

Thanks for letting me know.

4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing (ab{normal})User

KBO, get ALL the paperwork you can. If you can legally record phone calls without notifying the other party, do so, and then start digging into why they are doing that, if they have a lot of these complaints, etc. Could be very interesting.
  13. No Profile Picture

Inspiron screen

Hi All,
    Engineer called at 9 this morning, fitted in a new screen.
    Follow up call from some high-up at 11 to make sure I was happy and to give me her personal extension if I have any further queries. Now THAT'S what I call good customer relations. Smiles are back on this old lady's face!
    KBO
    (Keep Buggering On as Churchill said!)
  15. Providing fuel for space ships

That is good news, and good customer service ! Pity all companies didn't act in the same manner.

4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
  17. No Profile Picture

single-pixel lines

I, too, am having this problem with my Inspiron 9300 -- of course after the warranty has run out. Thanks for confirming that I'm not crazy for seeing these lines. Has anyone gotten satisfaction from Dell?
  19. Providing fuel for space ships

Originally Posted by cnobile
    I, too, am having this problem with my Inspiron 9300 -- of course after the warranty has run out. Thanks for confirming that I'm not crazy for seeing these lines. Has anyone gotten satisfaction from Dell?
    Hi cnobile and welcome to Dev Shed.

Yes, it appears some do get satisfaction from Dell. Have a read at the last few posts above from KBO.

4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
  21. No Profile Picture

Urggh! Just found this site after a good Googling.

Count me in to these problems. My 9300 is 2 months out of its guarantee period and started developing these multi-coloured single pixel lines a couple of weeks ago.

It's also a pampered machine in daily use as I'm a home worker who simply wanted something I could move round the house.

If this is happening to so many people and in the same kind of timeframe, there's obviously a problem here and, just like the faulty battery issue, Dell really should rectifify the situation. I'm certainly not paying out for a separate monitor to hook up and the screen has now got so annoying that my employers are shipping me a new (non Dell!) laptop this week so I'm not driven crazy.

Looks like we'll all have to start a campaign of letter writing etc to get them to do something - screen failures on a laptop of this price after a year is just not acceptable
  23. No Profile Picture

Anyone from the States?

Hi, all.

I've been so frustrated with this vertical line issue for a month, and I finally found this forum!

I thought it was only my problem, but it was somewhat relieved to see so many people have this same problem.

Yes, I totally agree with KBO that the model Inspiron 9300 is initially faulty from its manufacuture, because so many Inspiron 9300's show this at once (right around 1 year and 3 months after the initial purchase), conveniently after the 1-year limited warranty.

I was inspired by the efforts put forth by KBO, but I need some help, and legal advice. Anybody from the United States suffering from the same problem?

I am willing to write any letters necessary. I am thinking of reporting this case to BBB, demanding a recall of this product.

Please help me out.

Thank you.
  25. No Profile Picture

Exclamation Same issue from the US

Hi All,

Just started having the problem today. UUUHHHG!!!
    At first I thought it was Vista RC2 that broke me but when I rebooted and could see it even in the post screen...

Hey MuGMaN, i'm in the states too. I don't have any legal advice tho, not a lawyer. But i'd be happy to try and figure this out with you. I'm going to do as suggested by the forum and at least give Dell a call. For those in the states, that means calling India and working through hours of "did you try this".

The problem I have is that this is my 4th Dell laptop and the first to give me any grief. I've been extremely happy with my original Latitude LS, Insprion 4100, and Inspiron 8600 models and was excited to have this 9300. Up til today, there have been NO hardware issues. I use the hell out of my 9300, at least 9 hours a day. I've worn the wrist pad and keyboard buttons. I can't really say that I've babied my PC tho like some of the other forum have claimed... I'm hard on mine, transporting it back and forth to work/home every day... but i did that with all of my laptops.
    Internal dilema: do I upgrade to the next cool Dell model?

That being said, to me this is an obvious hardware issue that has a built-in time limit of 12-24 months before it rears it's ugly head. Does this seem accurate? Dell needs to fix this if so many people are having the same issue. Currently, I only have a single turquoise line at about 10% from the left. If i turned off stretching and went down to 1600x1200 then I probly wouldn't even notice it.

If anyone has taken the time to take their 9300 apart and view screen, cable, video, i'd appreciate any heads-up on what NOT to do. Based off what I've read, it appears to be the screen, not the cabling or MB that has issues. Is there a replacement that can be purchased online from anywhere? I don't have a problem putting the part in myself... as long as it is a factory(ish) part. I'll be real irritated to purchase this new part rather than have Dell do it but it might be quicker and easier just to do it your self... as long as it's not TOO expesive.

Appreciate any thoughts or comments.
  27. No Profile Picture

Quick development

Hi, all!

Special greetings to GuidoSarducci.
    It's good to meet someone who is in the same shoes.
    Together, we can probably work something out!

Just a brief report on the vertical lines on my LCD.
    There used to be 2 lines, and then a prominent red line appeard in the middle. Then a couple of days later, pale green line appeared right next to it.

Surprisingly enough, the red line in the center disappeared, leaving only a green line in the middle and two other lines.

Then, the green line in the middle flickers - it appears, and disappears from time to time.

I suspect this is not a LCD defect, rather than a disconnected and/or loose cable issue?

Has anybody tried Dell USA?
    Would the recall of this product even be possible?

Cheers.
  29. No Profile Picture

Exclamation Yet, Another From the US

My 9300 just developed a vertical blue line today, not more than 18 months since purchased! Judging from the dates of recent posts on this thread, it seems like a time bomb with this product. My laptop is almost permanantly stationary on my desk and, like some of the rest of you, very pampered, rarely moved or taken anywhere.

I had nothing but troubles with a Silicon Graphics machine, and no support. Finally my phone calls were escalated to the sales director after mentioning that I had talked with an attorney about lack of resolution on my issues. They fully refunded my money. At any rate, the attorney recommended that my next step should be to write consumer complaint letters to the State Attorney Generals offices of the state Iwas in and the registered state of incorporation for SGI. Fortunately, none of this was necessary.

As for DELL, I cannot say that I feel the same degree of confidence in ease of reaching resolution. However, evidence is clearly mounting in our favor, as more and more faulty units are documented.

I am going to submit my trouble ticket with DELL and begin the process of attempted resolution that way first. I will check-back here over the next few days.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo