1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

That might bring us a good news!

Greetings, Jahrun!

I so glad to know that there are many people who share a same problem with me.

Please try these, and please help us out!

Thanks.
  3. No Profile Picture

Same Problem

9300 UXGA screen. Solid vertical line down the left side of the screen. Warranty ended in April. So about 18 month life expectancy of the screen is horrible. I paid extra to get the nicer screen...didn't think it would make it die sooner.
    Going to try to do some more research this weekend and see if I can get a rough count of users experiencing this problem. Used Dells forever and always recommended them...until now.
    =/
    Definitely would like to hear what others are doing or who they have talked to at Dell. Maybe if we bug the same person, they will notice the impact?
    I dunno, open to suggestions.
    Andy

Originally Posted by MuGMaN
    Greetings, Jahrun!

I so glad to know that there are many people who share a same problem with me.

Please try these, and please help us out!

Thanks.
  5. No Profile Picture

I got the first line.

I bought an Inspiron 9200 in Feb 2005. I just got the first line. Will be calling Dell tomorrow. I will keep you informed.
  7. No Profile Picture

Update

DELL has replied to my support for request advising me to troubleshoot by simply connecting an external monitor and seeing if it appears there as the primary and only display (i.e. the laptop display turned-off).

Doing so did not reproduce the blue line, and so they suspect it is the LCD and not the video controller, and are scheduling on site repair sometime this week under my warranty. However, I am somewhat concerned that an equally defective unit will be installed, leaving me in the same boat in another 18 months.

Is anyone here inclined to organize a petition to DELL for ensuring ethical reconciliation?
  9. No Profile Picture

DELL Support Thread

Below is the current thread I have going with DELL as of this morning. I hope that it is of value.

2006-10-30 8:29AM ----------------------------------------------------

DELL Support Rep {
    Thanks for your courteous reply.

I am somewhat concerned that an identical LCD unit will be installed, leaving me in the same boat in another 18 months as it too rears its equally defective head after my warranty expires.

Judging by the number of incidents in the same timeframe, it appears self-evident that this is a recall issue.

In order to maintain my confidence as a loyal DELL customer, I expect DELL to either (A) replace my unit entirely with a new unit and full warranty, or (B) repair my existing computer and extend my warranty to cover this display issue.

The number of cases identical to mine are increasingly documented on the Internet, see (URL address blocked: See forums rules)

Kindly escalate mine and these collective concerns.

Thank you.

} Dennis G. Morgan

2006-10-29 1:23AM ----------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr. Morgan,

Thank you for replying back.

I really appriciate your efforts for performing the troubleshooting steps I have mentioned in my previosu e-mail.

So, to resolve this issue,I have arranged an on-site service call for your Dell system to replace the LCD.

The parts needed to service your system will ship to a local service provider. The service provider will then contact you to arrange the service call. Most service calls are completed next business day.

The case number for this interaction is xxxxxxxxxxx. The case has been documented and the contents of this case are available to all Dell representatives. If you need additional assistance with this issue, please refer to this case number.

If your issue is urgent and requires immediate assistance, please utilize our 24 hour phone support at 800-822-8965.

Thank you for contacting Dell Warranty Support.

Respectfully,

Mohit
    Dell Rep ID #DH6101
    Dell US Warranty Support

2006-10-28 10:14AM ----------------------------------------------------

Arthur (case rep) {
    Thanks for your reply. I regularly use a dual-screen mode and have tried using the external monitor only. The vertical blue line does not appear on the external monitor when it is the primary and only display. The issue, then as you suggest is likely to be the LCD panel. I use my computer on a daily basis to do my work, but could probably afford to be without it for a couple days. What plan of service do you recommend?
    } Dennis

2006-10-28 12:31AM ----------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr. Morgan,

This may be the issue with the video controller / motherboard or the LCD screen itself and to isolate the root cause of the problem, I will advise you to attach an external monitor to see if the symptoms appear there as well.

Note: If there is no video on the monitor, hit FN-F8 to try to toggle the video.

Compare both displays and look for the symptoms on the external monitor.

If there is no external monitor available or the color on external monitor looks fine, then the LCD needs to be replaced.

If the problem exists on an external monitor as well, then the video controller needs to be replaced.

Please revert back with the result so that we can proceed further.

Will wait for your response and will setup the service accordingly.

The case number for this interaction is XXXXXXXXXX. The case has been documented and the contents of this case are available to all Dell representatives. If you need additional assistance with this issue, please refer to this case number.

If your issue is urgent and requires immediate assistance, please utilize our 24 hour phone support at 800-822-8965.

Respectfully,
    Arthur
    Dell Rep DF8187
    Dell Warranty Support

2006-10-27 7:56PM ----------------------------------------------------

System Information
    System Product Family=Inspiron
    System Label =Inspiron 9300
    System Ship Date=4/21/2005 12:00:00 AM

Request Information
    Request Type: Video Adapter/LCD
    Operating System: Windows XP
    OS Version: Professional

Request Description:
    Support {

A pale blue line has appeared on my INSPIRON 9300 LCD display today. It persists after several reboots and appears during BIOS boot. Nothing physical has changed as the machine has remained stationary on my desk recently. I've looked elsewhere on the Internet and found quite a growing mass of consumers complaining about identical symptoms for example see:
    http:
    forums.devshed.com/computer-hardware-103/single-pixel-lines-in-dell-inspiron
    -screen-382937.html

DELL must ethically take accountability for this issue not only for me but for the others who purchased this particular model for its touted display features.

Please respond.

} Dennis G. Morgan

Comments on this post

• Jostler agrees
  11. No Profile Picture

Thansk Jahrun

Originally Posted by Jahrun
    <snip>
    Judging by the number of incidents in the same timeframe, it appears self-evident that this is a recall issue.

In order to maintain my confidence as a loyal DELL customer, I expect DELL to either (A) replace my unit entirely with a new unit and full warranty, or (B) repair my existing computer and extend my warranty to cover this display issue.

<snip>
    Thanks Jahrun - brilliant stuff.

Mine day had a line at 15 months
    which then grew to 3 lines
    then 5
    then eight
    and then 6 months after the first line a BIG BLACK BAR in approx. the centre of the screen

I could live with the lines and was too busy to engage Dell but now it seems like a melt-down is in progress.

I definitely think we need to nominate one place where all DELL users worldwide can get together on this issue.

Maybe this forum is the best place for this coordination. Any thoughts?
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Jostler
    Mine day had a line at 15 months
    which then grew to 3 lines
    then 5
    then eight
    and then 6 months after the first line a BIG BLACK BAR in approx. the centre of the screen
    My story is exactly the same. I contacted Dell Customer Care via the telephone this morning (they already have my screen fault logged) and explained that as this is affecting many, many notebooks bought at the same time it has ceased to be my problem and is now their problem.
    The Customer Services representative was very quiet and did not act at all surprised, but of course that is my interpretation. What he did conceed was it was up to Dell to fix it.

I now await their response as he is consulting tech support.

I used to work in Customer Care myself, and my advice is be polite, amicable and understanding at all times and you should receive a more than helpful response. I purchased a 4 USB mouse from Dell in July and the accompanying free Dell mouse mat was missed from the order. I received a webcam as compensation.

I'll post again when I receive their reply on the screen issue.
  15. No Profile Picture

I've spoken to Vinoth, a technical supervisor at Dell who claims there has not been enough complaints about this problem (they claim mine is their first) to make this a recall or free replacement issue. I did quote this forum and offer my notebook to be collected for a diagnostic, which they are trying to sidestep.

He explained that as the LCD screen is an electronic component they only offer 12 months warranty as a surge in electricity can cause malfunction etc, but this goes not excuse the quantity of notebooks with this problem.

Tech support offered a 20% discount on my repair making the total 205. A lady called Varsha told me catagorically that mine is the only Inspiron with this problem. I asked her to clarify this and she repeated that mine was the only one with this fault that had been reported.
    Her direct line is: 0870 3536031.

If you are experiencing this fault I urge you to report it.
  17. No Profile Picture

I have a Dell Latitude with the dreaded lines. the lines line up with molded in case designs on the backside of the screen. Anyone have a solution or know of a fix. If I squeeze the screen where the line meets the lid, the lines go away.

Thank in advance
  19. No Profile Picture

Update on my Inspiron 9300:

After a number of calls to Dell tech support and completing the tests they asked (running PSA, reseating LCD cable and plugging in external monitor) they conceeded that it must be a fault of the LCD and offered to fit a new one without charge.

A service engineer came out, also said that it was an LCD problem and fitted a new screen. I then had the luxury of a line-free screen. Problem solved, thought I....

NO

Three days, yes, three days later a blue line winks into view. I've now got 5 blue and red lines, in different places to the lines on the last screen.

So I've been back on the phone to Dell saying that the replacement LCD lasted a whole 3 days before also beginning to fail. I had to run the same tests again and, again, got the same result and the verdict was a faulty LCD. This time round I mentioned that I've seen lots of people on the Net with this same problem and there's obviously a problem with this LCD model if it's failing on so many....the tech supportive operative went very quiet for a bit before assuring me that the problem would be sorted.

As it stands, I'm waiting for another engineer but apparently Dell are out of this particular LCD (judging by the quality thus far, a good thing I'd say!). So I'll see what they can do the second time around, but fix it they will!
  21. No Profile Picture

Angry Lines are growing as we speak!

I also purchased my Dell Inspiron 9300 in April 2005 and in the end of September 2006 I noticed a red line appeared on my monitor. It is, of course, out of warranty and now I am trying to figure how I should go about contacting Dell. I think if I call they are going to charge me and I don't believe I should be charged anything for this major hardware flaw. Besides writing letters, has anyone had any luck getting through without having to pay to talk to someone?

It is now November 5, 2006 and I now have 4 lines! Red, 2 Blue, Green...I know I will get more, but I don't believe I should pay for this. These damn screens should last longer than a year and a half!
  23. No Profile Picture

another case of this prob

Today, my inspiron 9300 got a 1 pixel-wide purple line. Seems like every 9300 out there has this problem!!! My laptop is 18 months young and costed me too damn much to break down on me like this. Obviously, i am now passed my 1 year waranty that i had to use before btw for a malfunctioning dvd drive. Are there any people who get this problem solved without any costs? What are the best steps to take next?
    Anyone else from belgium?
  25. No Profile Picture

Just had a line of pixels go on my 9200 around an hour ago and found this thread. Nothing I've tried will get rid of it and my laptops out of warranty. Has anyone got anywhere by sweet talking Dell or should someone take legal action?

(For the record mine is a light blue / white line about 1cm in from the right of the screen, my laptop is nearly 2 years old, life for a laptop of this price should be at least 4-5 years : Ship Date: 1/3/2005 )

If we could co-ordinate a list of names, and possibly pictures of the affected laptops, we could produce this to Dell, if they do not respond would it be worth going to a consumer program such as Watchdog (in the UK) or consumer magazine?
  27. No Profile Picture

Wow those sound exactly like my problem, except my laptop is an Inspiron 510M purchased March 2005 or so and only started getting those lines a few weeks ago. (I'm in Australia though)

It started off one morning as a faint white line on the desktop, which became almost invisible when opening a program or something because for some reason the colour changed when you have a different background.

That night it became a black line, and later, red. Sometimes if I open "My Computer" or something, the line that goes over the white section of the window is almost not visible, but is still black over the blue, top title bar part of the window

It looks similar to the crap I got ages ago on my Scroll bars

Today a second line has appeared, which is a bit fainter than the first one, and appears about 1cm to the right of the first one

If you look closely at my line, you can see its "shimmering" sort of, and made up of many moving pixels, all in one straight line.

Needless to say my warranty has run out too
  29. No Profile Picture

Thank you

Sorry that you guys are having suck hard luck with your screens...I too have been bitten by the screen bug and found this lovely forum with google. So, taking what I read here and putting it all together I went to Dell Chat. So, of course like most of you my warranty was up in March of this year and I thought this was going to be an epic struggle to get some movement on my situation. However, like I said I put it all together from what I read to skip several steps.

1. Read all the above post, and understand what Dell is going to ask you. ie what is the problem, how many pixels, how long, have you connected it to another monitor to see if it is the monitor( you had better say yes..this alone will save you a second call)
    2. Should be one..remember they know this stuff is broken and will run game on you like you are doing to them. Where is what worked for me (it is actually true but it is good for you to use). When I first bought my i9300 I knew about the screen and I really did ask them in a follow up call they made to me if the screen was stable and had been fixed. I asked about how I heard the screens were faulty and Dell knew about this and could they tell me mine was ok. He gave me the old that was a bad batch dell knew about talk to the distributor of the screen and they had dealt with the issues and I was good to go. Well I brought this up and did the whole this should be on record I told the guy he said Dell would honor it if anything ever went wrong and he told me he documented it and all that.
    3. Education is key. I reminded them that I am going to be graduating this semester and WAS looking to buy future products from them. I just felt the key here was to let them know I am a mid 20's future customer who is tech savy and liked expensive toys. ie piss me off here and my lifetime of customer loyalty will walk and I will make it a personal mission to let everyone I know that Dell suck C**k when it comes to CS.
    4. I was nice yet annoyed at the same time. Said customer Rep is just doing his job so let him know your mad that your dell is not working and not at him. I puffed smoke up his *** about how I was always happy with the CS and the computer itself(which is true I really love my 9300) was great other than the annoying lines I have to look at all day long.

That is about it. Thanks for the heads up on what they would be asking. Remember they owe you but are only going to given in if 1. You are knowledgeable about computers and the situation. ie I know this is an issue with dell i9300's for a fact. tell them this
    2. Know to say that you have used a second monitor and it is fine. I even dropped that an IT guy on campus helped me to make it more believable.
    3. Educated people like toys, know other people who like toys. Hell we all love tech and spend countless amounts of time and resource on ours. Let them know that they are burning a bridge with you and you will never buy with them again.
    4. Dont **** out on the Customer Rep. he is given a order to see if he can talk you into believing that the situation is your problem not his. Just be nice but let them know you are pissed about said situation.

Hope this helps some of you just thought I would pass my $0.02 on since I resolved the issue in about 1 hour and some change. Hope it is as easy for you as it was for me. GL and thanks to prior posters for the knowledge.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo