Page 4 of 12 First ... 23456 ... Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

hi guys
    thx i'm not alone, after some research i finally got here.

I got the same experience with a dell 9200 bought in january 2005
    first line appear in last august, i got like 20 colorlines or so now.
    I had just one year of warranty so i suppose i cant do anything else about it.
    I think we need to make some kind of petition, or to mail to the proper guy the same complain.
    can someone who have already a contact with dell post the address, so we can write together to let them know that it is not a single problem but a real plague.

ooh and it works fine with an external monitor ( no lines at all).
  3. No Profile Picture

You can add me to the list, bought my inspiron 9300 in Canada, now 15 months later I wake up to a cyan coloured 1 pixel wide vertical line running down my screen from top to bottom....

I have contacted Dell, and got the ol "This is the first time anyone has complained about this" B.S...... and I reffered them to this link....

I have been happy with my Dell up until now, but if they are sending out these defective screens and charging $499 to fix them, then I have lost all faith in the company and will spread the word. However, my particular case hasn't been settled yet as I was told they had to speak to someone at the top of the line to see how to deal with my problem.... I just hope that they do the right thing and repair my screen at no extra cost to me, with an extended warranty.

I will keep you updated on how things go.
  5. No Profile Picture

Dell Inspiron 9200
    Out of warranty
    3 vertical lines, two cyan, one orange

I will keep an eye on this post as it seems to be the only one on the net with people having the same issue as myself.

Dell needs to step up to the plate and compensate us for this.
  7. No Profile Picture

Could be from the LCD type, WXGA+ or WUXGA?
  9. No Profile Picture

Angry lines on screen

The single pixel lines started showing up on my Insprion 9300 about 3 months ago. I now have 12!!! Of course, I'm about 6 months out of warranty. Any chance Dell will fix this?
  11. No Profile Picture

inspiron 9300 red line

I live in Buenos Aires, Argentina and I had experienced the same problem all of you guys had.

A bloody vertical red line across my Inspiron 9300 screen. I'm pretty upset since I've spent a lot of money in it and this bloody line only appeared after the warranty was over.
    Having to deal with this in English is really hard for me.. and although I understand that recalling these units will mean a huge loss for Dell, I'm pretty upset with the poor help i recieved from them. They all seem to try and make us think that everytime we call is the first time they heat about our problem and make us think it's our fault that the screens are ****ed up. I mean, why do they have to treat us like if we were stupid?
    I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem... sorry about that.. but i did felt pretty lonely at first... and didn't know what to do.. this is kinda a support group.. i feel like in an AA meeting
  13. No Profile Picture

I write this just to add one more case to the table.

I got several vertical lines running down on my screen. First I had many of them but they tend to live, sometimes some of them disappear and others appear.

My warranty has also expired couple of months ago.
    I will contact dell and see what happens.

If Dell cares about the future purchases at all they should be fixing these with haste. It's bad for business to disappoint those who purchase the most expensive laptops they offer.
    I should anyways get a new laptop next year as the graphics card should be updated and depending on Dells stand in this matter it either is or isn't their XPS series laptop.
  15. No Profile Picture

Adding my complaint to the pile. I bought my 9300 in April of 2005 and a couple months ago I got a red line down my screen. I did a little troubleshooting and came up with the same results that everyone else is. Now the line has turned yellow and it has a new purple friend near it. My warranty is of course expired so I am wondering if anyone has been successful with the replacement of the LCD that also has an expired warranty.

The 2 or 3 tales of replacement in this thread seemed to be under warranty.
  17. No Profile Picture

I'm writing from Guernsey, Channel Islands. It appears that many who bought 9300 about April 2005 is having this vertical line problem. I also bought mine exactly at that time and the first line appeared in August of this year, and now I've 14 lines. It's as if the screen is dying from cancer. Haven't called Dell yet but perhaps I should so that they'll perhaps start taking the initiative to address this defective screen Dell has been selling to consumers.
  19. No Profile Picture

Same problem here. I have a Inspiron 9300 and I got it in May 2005. I've got one vertical purple line. I wouldn't mind this too much but I'm sure there will be more to follow! Seems very strange how they all seem to be going at the same time. I haven't contacted dell yet but I intend to tomorrow. This is total BS if the screen just lasts for the length of the warrenty and then goes bad!

At least its good to know its happening to so many people, theres strength in numbers!
  21. No Profile Picture

same prob

I got my i9300 in april 05 and a few days ago i got a 2 inch vertical white line in the middle of my damn screen. Im pissed..I will be calling dell tomorrow, and just like the rest my warranty is up too.
  23. No Profile Picture

Angry One more sheep in the flock

The year was 2005... to be more precise, February 2005 when I purchased the Inspiron 9300 after a month long research. Of course it was one of the most expensive laptops by Dell. It never gave me a chance to worry except for the LCD panel. While booting up (when the screen is black) I noticed a phenomenon known as "light leak" on the bottom of the screen. On contacting customer care, they were prompt to send me a replacement, but it too had the same problem. I was referred to one of the senior guys in tech support and I was made to believe that it was a drawback of the latest technology of WUXGA high resolution screens. That ended my "psychological" problem with light leak.

Months passed by and it was June 2006 when a 2 inch wide white band appeared to the left of the centre of the panel (exactly from the middle) out of the blue. I tried updating the nvidia driver, but of no avail. I was almost sure there's something serious with the display when this line showed up even during booting, signalling that it could not be a software issue. I searched many forums including Dell community forums, but was unfortunate to find any similar issues listed. When I called up customer care, I was asked to connect it to an external monitor to differentiate it from a video card fault. The display on the external monitor was clear as expected and did not show any band. So, it all boiled down to the LCD panel. Information on googling suggested that there is no other way, other than to get the panel replaced.

Meanwhile, I started getting multicoloured 1 pixel vertical lines (all to the left of the initial white band) and it started to grow in number, one after another. As of today, there must be around two 10 pixel wide lines, each made up of up to 8 or 9 single coloured 1 pixel vertical lines. Dell sent me a quotation for the LCD panel replacement (obviuosly, it was out of warranty) and the customer support (as trained) sounded as if it was my fault and as if they are encountering such an issue for the first time. The funniest thing was that the replaced one would carry only a 3 month warranty (which, I'm sure will be a refurbished one).

It was just today that I found comrades at this forum and after going through all the 4 pages, I feel much annoyed and frustrated. After paying such a hefty sum for this powerhorse, I feel Dell should provide it's customer with a quality that's worth the money it extracts. Even if the warranty is for 1 year, that seldom means such an expensive laptop should stop functioning on the 366th day. Doesn't Dell owe any responsibility to it's customers? One could understand if it is an isolated (co)incidence. But that's definitely not the case here, with the lcd panel on too many 9300s starting up to show the same nature of complaint and that too strikingly identical period of use. Any layman can easily come to the conclusion that it is a manufacturing (assembly) defect with the LCD panels.

Is the end user to be blamed for such flaws made by quality control? It is undoubtedly the sole responsibility of Dell workforce who has accepted such a low quality product from a third party manufacturer like LG / Samsung / Philips (as the case may be) without proper scruitiny and testing. Before marketing such an expensive, technologically advanced display, they ought to have carried out stringent, rigorous testing. Otherwise what's the meaning in such a price tag?

I'm writing to Dell CEO and will be contacting Customer support and shall keep you all posted on further developments.

In the meantime, we shall all hope that Dell sorts out this issue on similar grounds as it's battery recall programme.
  25. No Profile Picture

Case number

Dear Mr. Morgan,
    It would be of immense help to this co-sufferer if you could please post / m a i l me (suhailiqbal at jee ma i l) the case number for your interaction with Dell Customer support. I have my cousin in Dell technical support, Hyderabad, India and had discussed the issue with him and he has assured to help me if I give him the reference of your case number. If so, he can proceed with a replacement request as it was given in an identical case. May be it will help other co-sufferers with similar issues.
    Kind regards,

Dr. Suhail Iqbal

Originally Posted by Jahrun
    Below is the current thread I have going with DELL as of this morning. I hope that it is of value.

2006-10-30 8:29AM ----------------------------------------------------

DELL Support Rep {
    Thanks for your courteous reply.

I am somewhat concerned that an identical LCD unit will be installed, leaving me in the same boat in another 18 months as it too rears its equally defective head after my warranty expires.

Judging by the number of incidents in the same timeframe, it appears self-evident that this is a recall issue.

In order to maintain my confidence as a loyal DELL customer, I expect DELL to either (A) replace my unit entirely with a new unit and full warranty, or (B) repair my existing computer and extend my warranty to cover this display issue.

The number of cases identical to mine are increasingly documented on the Internet, see (URL address blocked: See forums rules)

Kindly escalate mine and these collective concerns.

Thank you.

} Dennis G. Morgan

2006-10-29 1:23AM ----------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr. Morgan,

Thank you for replying back.

I really appriciate your efforts for performing the troubleshooting steps I have mentioned in my previosu e-mail.

So, to resolve this issue,I have arranged an on-site service call for your Dell system to replace the LCD.

The parts needed to service your system will ship to a local service provider. The service provider will then contact you to arrange the service call. Most service calls are completed next business day.

The case number for this interaction is xxxxxxxxxxx. The case has been documented and the contents of this case are available to all Dell representatives. If you need additional assistance with this issue, please refer to this case number.

If your issue is urgent and requires immediate assistance, please utilize our 24 hour phone support at 800-822-8965.

Thank you for contacting Dell Warranty Support.

Respectfully,

Mohit
    Dell Rep ID #DH6101
    Dell US Warranty Support

2006-10-28 10:14AM ----------------------------------------------------

Arthur (case rep) {
    Thanks for your reply. I regularly use a dual-screen mode and have tried using the external monitor only. The vertical blue line does not appear on the external monitor when it is the primary and only display. The issue, then as you suggest is likely to be the LCD panel. I use my computer on a daily basis to do my work, but could probably afford to be without it for a couple days. What plan of service do you recommend?
    } Dennis

2006-10-28 12:31AM ----------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr. Morgan,

This may be the issue with the video controller / motherboard or the LCD screen itself and to isolate the root cause of the problem, I will advise you to attach an external monitor to see if the symptoms appear there as well.

Note: If there is no video on the monitor, hit FN-F8 to try to toggle the video.

Compare both displays and look for the symptoms on the external monitor.

If there is no external monitor available or the color on external monitor looks fine, then the LCD needs to be replaced.

If the problem exists on an external monitor as well, then the video controller needs to be replaced.

Please revert back with the result so that we can proceed further.

Will wait for your response and will setup the service accordingly.

The case number for this interaction is XXXXXXXXXX. The case has been documented and the contents of this case are available to all Dell representatives. If you need additional assistance with this issue, please refer to this case number.

If your issue is urgent and requires immediate assistance, please utilize our 24 hour phone support at 800-822-8965.

Respectfully,
    Arthur
    Dell Rep DF8187
    Dell Warranty Support

2006-10-27 7:56PM ----------------------------------------------------

System Information
    System Product Family=Inspiron
    System Label =Inspiron 9300
    System Ship Date=4/21/2005 12:00:00 AM

Request Information
    Request Type: Video Adapter/LCD
    Operating System: Windows XP
    OS Version: Professional

Request Description:
    Support {

A pale blue line has appeared on my INSPIRON 9300 LCD display today. It persists after several reboots and appears during BIOS boot. Nothing physical has changed as the machine has remained stationary on my desk recently. I've looked elsewhere on the Internet and found quite a growing mass of consumers complaining about identical symptoms for example see:
    http:
    forums.devshed.com/computer-hardware-103/single-pixel-lines-in-dell-inspiron
    -screen-382937.html

DELL must ethically take accountability for this issue not only for me but for the others who purchased this particular model for its touted display features.

Please respond.

} Dennis G. Morgan
  27. No Profile Picture

thank you tookous, thank you Dell

As, I posted before, i got same prob with my inspiron 9300 and yes i am like so many others here passed my warranty. I was very upset about this and contacted Dell Belgium technical support by filling out their form on the website. I made sure I followed tookous' advice about this.
    Originally Posted by Tookous
    Sorry that you guys are having suck hard luck with your screens...I too have been bitten by the screen bug and found this lovely forum with google. So, taking what I read here and putting it all together I went to Dell Chat. So, of course like most of you my warranty was up in March of this year and I thought this was going to be an epic struggle to get some movement on my situation. However, like I said I put it all together from what I read to skip several steps.

1. Read all the above post, and understand what Dell is going to ask you. ie what is the problem, how many pixels, how long, have you connected it to another monitor to see if it is the monitor( you had better say yes..this alone will save you a second call)
    2. Should be one..remember they know this stuff is broken and will run game on you like you are doing to them. Where is what worked for me (it is actually true but it is good for you to use). When I first bought my i9300 I knew about the screen and I really did ask them in a follow up call they made to me if the screen was stable and had been fixed. I asked about how I heard the screens were faulty and Dell knew about this and could they tell me mine was ok. He gave me the old that was a bad batch dell knew about talk to the distributor of the screen and they had dealt with the issues and I was good to go. Well I brought this up and did the whole this should be on record I told the guy he said Dell would honor it if anything ever went wrong and he told me he documented it and all that.
    3. Education is key. I reminded them that I am going to be graduating this semester and WAS looking to buy future products from them. I just felt the key here was to let them know I am a mid 20's future customer who is tech savy and liked expensive toys. ie piss me off here and my lifetime of customer loyalty will walk and I will make it a personal mission to let everyone I know that Dell suck C**k when it comes to CS.
    4. I was nice yet annoyed at the same time. Said customer Rep is just doing his job so let him know your mad that your dell is not working and not at him. I puffed smoke up his *** about how I was always happy with the CS and the computer itself(which is true I really love my 9300) was great other than the annoying lines I have to look at all day long.

That is about it. Thanks for the heads up on what they would be asking. Remember they owe you but are only going to given in if 1. You are knowledgeable about computers and the situation. ie I know this is an issue with dell i9300's for a fact. tell them this
    2. Know to say that you have used a second monitor and it is fine. I even dropped that an IT guy on campus helped me to make it more believable.
    3. Educated people like toys, know other people who like toys. Hell we all love tech and spend countless amounts of time and resource on ours. Let them know that they are burning a bridge with you and you will never buy with them again.
    4. Dont **** out on the Customer Rep. he is given a order to see if he can talk you into believing that the situation is your problem not his. Just be nice but let them know you are pissed about said situation.

Hope this helps some of you just thought I would pass my $0.02 on since I resolved the issue in about 1 hour and some change. Hope it is as easy for you as it was for me. GL and thanks to prior posters for the knowledge.
    First they replied to me to go through a couple of tests. I did all the tests, replied to them about all the results in detail and also tried to put in tookous' advice again as much as possible. Today a dell support guy came by and replaced my screen free of charge. It is not the exact same screen (maybe i should be happy about that?) which means this one has a smaller viewing angle then my original one. Still I'm happy to have that line away so thank you so much tookous and thank you Dell.
  29. Providing fuel for space ships
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

It's nice to see that a couple of you guys are getting these screens changed.
    The No Ma'am commandments:

1.) It is O.K. to call hooters 'knockers' and sometimes snack trays
    2.) It is wrong to be French
    3.) It is O.K. to put all bad people in a giant meat grinder
    4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
    5.) It is O.K. to drive a gas guzzler if it helps you get babes
    6.) Everyone should car pool but me
    7.) Bring back the word 'stewardesses'
    8.) Synchronized swimming is not a sport
    9.) Mud wrestling is a sport
Page 4 of 12 First ... 23456 ... Last
  • Jump to page: