Page 6 of 12 First ... 45678 ... Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Website

Alright the website is up. It's got a bug or two but i'll work those out in a few minutes.

Would everyone please head on over and fill out the form. Even if you case has been resolved please fill out the form so that we can see exactly how many people are being affected by this.

dellverticalline.com
  3. No Profile Picture

Bzylizy

Looks like the problem is not only a laptop issue. I rec'd a xps410 desktop last week with a 19 inch flat screen. Today I noticed a pinkish/red line on the right side of the screen. Called Dell right away & after 1/2 hour worth of tests they conceded it was a bad monitor & are shipping a new one. I just hope I don't have the same problem with the new monitor in 18 months or so! Funny thing was the tech guy kept referring to my system as a Dimension 9200. When I questioned him about that he said "oh well it's the same thing" that didn't make sense to me, but maybe they are having some known issues with the 9200 as well.
  5. No Profile Picture

Dell Inspiron 9200 - T17" UltraSharp Wide Screen XGA+ (part #W5411)

Unfortunately, I am having to jump on the band wagon with you guys. I have a Inspiron 9200 from late February 2005. The first line showed up at about 19 months and is purple. The second line showed up at about 20 months and is cyan. Would anyone like to make any bets on what color the next one will be?

Plan to contact Dell just as soon as I can psyche myself up for the battle that I am sure will ensue. I thought I was the only one until I found this forum.

Many thanks to Doubleowhat for the dellverticalline.com It's going to take all of us banding together to get something done about this.
  7. No Profile Picture

Dell displays are manufatured by LG Phillips

The displays used by Dell are maufactured by LG Phillips, a Korean company which is currently trying to create the largest lcd panels available. I wonder if Phillips will appreciate the bad vibes created by Dell refusing to take responsibility ((URL address blocked: See forum rules)). I am already attempting to get a response from Phillips about whether or not they are attempting to correct the defect, and if so how one can tell from the part number.

The LG Phillips part number of the display in my Dell is LP171WX2 B4. These displays can be purchased on ebay for about $225 (though one schmuck is trying to sell one that already has vertical lines for $79).

Online Dell service manuals have instructions for removing and dissaembling the displays, which is fairly straightforward.
  9. No Profile Picture

Thumbs up 9300 purchased 05/05 - thanx to this forum issue resolved free of charge :)

Hi guys just to say a BIG thank you to everyone in this forum!
    I believe without you guys I wonít be able to fix my notebook screen (free of charge)!
    My story is very similar to all the others and wont go through it again. First vertical line appeared after 1 month my warranty had expired then 2nd, 3rd...So, from then on I am exchanging emails and calls with Dell technical support. After discovering this forum and realising I'm not alone, my last email to the technical support, that clearly points to this forum, finally was replied positively saying that they are going to forward my email to someone higher up to try to resolve the issue. And a week later Iíve got a call from a Customer Service representative; first he started the very similar story offering me to replace my screen but this time cutting the cost by 50%. I said that I had enough of Dell and I'm not going to spend a single cent for it any more. I will rather put that money towards a new notebook (certainly not Dell's) than paying for something that is clearly Dellís faulty unit came out from the factory. Forum clearly points I am not alone and that all of those notebooks were shipped with a technical fault. I am in IT business so this is a very bad publicity for them as I used to recommend Dell notebook to many other people but this time will be the opposite. Must admit this time Customer Representative was very professional and very courteous telling me that he will look after my case. Unexpectedly he rang me again a very same day offering me a screen replacement free of charge. This is it, the end of the story, technician came next day to my office and replaced my screen on the spot. Iíll keep an eye on it as Iím not sure how long this screen will last. I am still not sure is it a screen, screen connector, graphics card or something else causing the issue?! Hmmm...
    And yes, I did not extend my warranty and will not do that, not for this notebook for sure. But must admit despite this (now resolved) issue, I am very happy with this Notebook. The best value for money notebook I could buy at that time.

Not sure is it all to do with very courteous customer service representative or Dell has quietly acknowledge the issue anyhow I really believe this forum has helped me a lot getting my screen fixed.
    Thanx again!
  11. No Profile Picture

catherinenobile

I've got it too. My first line appeared when my Inspiron 9300 was 16 months old. Like many of you, I was told by Dell to check with an external monitor, and "sounds like you have an LCD problem" and "sorry, we can't do anything; you're out of warranty." Now, 4 months after the first line appeared, I have 17 lines. If anyone has a solution, a name of some Dell person who'll take some responsibility, anything, please let me know.
  13. No Profile Picture

Angry

Yeah, so... i bought a Inspirion 6400/E1505

about 2 weeks after having it the motherboard fails on me, SOOO... i return it to dell, they take their SWEEEEET time repairing it. (finally after several attempts to get my laptop back in a timely manner, it arrives)

you dont pay 2,000 for something that you use for 2 weeks and it dies.

so, i got it back this morning.

guess what?

LINES! everywhere. boot it up (first time, mind you) , and liiiiiines.

luckily, im still in warrenty - this may not be the same problem at everyone elses, but i cant help but notice their horrid customer service - and how easily the computers are failing.

15. No Profile Picture

I got my screen replaced, free of charge.

Although I had no warranty anymore (as I wrote in the last post) they agreed to replace the lcd panel. This didn't happen right away, it took few calls to support and then couple of emails.

I'm lucky we have a nice law here (Finland) that states the manufacturer is responsible for defect products regardless of the warranty. This applies to all products bought by consumers.

Had they not agreed to replace the screen this Inspiron 9300 would have been my last purchase from Dell. Taking in account that I also consulted of purchases by a couple of small business and a lots of friends it would have been quite much more expensive for Dell :P

Good luck to everyone trying to get their displays fixed.
  17. No Profile Picture

dell 9200 dead pixles

I have the same problem I don't seem to get anywhere with dell I always seem to get hung up on so I don't have a case number would it be better to write a letter? or is this just hopeless can anyone tell me how to get started? Thanks Tom
  19. No Profile Picture

I have the same problem, with an Inspiron 9300 shipped in april 2005. Of course I've added my case to dellverticalline.com.

I will try to see what I can do with consumers associations in France and I would be interested by other cases in France.
  21. No Profile Picture

Just adding my case to the pile as well. My 9300 developed its first blue line about two weeks ago, and a second line last week. I've tried reseating the ribbon cable and video card just to rule them out. Of course that didn't help, and the lines do not show up on my external monitor.

I work for an IT firm that mainly specs Dell equipment for small businesses, and have yet to have a major problem with their CS. I use this laptop to demonstrate Dell's equipment to potential buyers so this is a big problem on my side. We will see how this goes, but if this isn't taken care of properly, Dell will be losing a good bit of my business when it comes to their laptops.

The more noise we make the better the chances that dell will help.

Also, my thanks to doubleohwhat for creating the dellverticalline website so we can see just how many people are being affected by this problem.
  23. No Profile Picture

And me too..........

Found this forum and thread via the Dell users forum, I now have 8 lines on my XPS Gen 2, bought in March '05 and the warranty ran out after a year
    doubleohwhat more power to your elbow, thanks for sorting a website where we can collate all our info and get some ideas of the numbers. I have submitted my details to the site, I couldn't find an option for XPS Gen2, can I go back and change my case details somehow?
    What do you intend to do with the information? If you intend to approach Dell with this information after a while, would it be helpful to know our fault reference numbers?
  25. No Profile Picture

I'm planning to add a few new options to the site over the next week. After the first of the year I am going to collect all the data and take it to Dell demanding that each and every person get a replacement screen free of charge. If they have already paid for the replacement they should get a refund.

If Dell refuses to take action then I will be starting a class action case if someone doesn't beat me to it.

EDIT:

There's an option for XPS GEN 2 near the bottom of the drop down. If you'll email me at admin@dellverticalline.com from the email you filled out on the form, i'll change your info.
  27. No Profile Picture

Dell 9300 vertical line nightmare - all is not lost!

This is a copy of the post I've put on dellverticalline.com - I thought I'd add it here as this was the forum that inspired me in the first place!

Location - U.K.
    Hi folks. I bought a Dell Inspiron 9300 for my girfriend and it worked great for the first year. However, in month 13 it developed the dreaded vertical line - of course, at the time I had no idea what it was all about. We lived with the problem until there were so many lines it was becoming impossible to see what was on the screen so in August 2006 I called Dell to ask what they thought and they informed me that it was out of warranty and would cost £500+ to fix. My fault for not buying the extended warranty i thought and started to plan a replacement computer. Just as I was about to order a new machine I did a google search for "lines on Dell 9300 screen" and came accross a forum that had hundreds of people all complaining of the same problem. "Right!" I thought and got straight back on to Dell armed with this new information. First person I spoke to couldn't help and passed me on to her supervisor who insisted that he couldn't do anything either. I politely but firmly informed him that I wanted it taking further so he said he'd pass the case on to a customer representative. They called up a couple of days later and again I made my case. They agreed to send out an engineer to fix the screen free of charge - this has since happened and we now have a fully functioning laptop again! So don't give up - call Dell, be polite but be firm and explain that you know for a fact that this is a manufacturing fault that affected an entire production of 9300's and that it is unacceptable. If the first person you speak to can't help (and I guarantee you they won't!) ask to speak to someone higher up the chain until you can talk to someone who actually has the authority to do something. I hope my story inspires you to pursue your case as the accounts i read of fellow sufferers inspired me. Good luck!
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I ordered a Dell Inspiron 6400 Dual Core a few days ago. It hasn't been shipped yet, and after reading about all these problems, I've pretty much made up my mind about cancelling the order! But they have such good deals! I can't spend more than $800, does anyone know where I can get another good deal on something that isn't Dell??
Page 6 of 12 First ... 45678 ... Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo