Page 8 of 12 First ... 678910 ... Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hi, I found this forum through a Google search and hope you don't mind me posting about my Dell LCD problem.

I received my Inspiron 6400 in May, 2006, and two months later started seeing horizontal lines across the screen. As the laptop was only a couple months old, I contacted Dell and they were really helpful. They sent someone out the next day to replace the LCD (after running some tests/diagnostics).

So, things are pretty good with my new screen for the next six months (although I did develop some dead pixels for no apparent reason). However, today I briefly stepped away from my computer, came back, and there was a single-pixel vertical line on the screen! I called Dell again and asked if this was a pervasive problem and they said it's extremely rare. Still, they're once again sending someone out to replace the screen.

I'm starting to wonder if I should extend my warranty. Is there something causing these screens to go bad, or do they keep sending defective displays? I am not a techie gal, so I appreciate any insight you guys have!
  2. No Profile Picture

I am in the same Boat

I have a Inspiron 9200 I got mine in May 2005 and mine started a month after the warranty ran out. Mine started as a large chunk on the left of my screen with in the last month I have added another strip down the middle and another on the right hand side that flashes on and off I am slowly loosing my whole screen. Now the right side flashes on and off. It is nice to know I am not alone in this. I just hope I can get mine fixed. I was in Canada when I bought mine and I am now in the UK so I have a feeling Iím in for a greater battle. Letís hope Dell will do something to fix this issue with out it costing us anything.

GeorgiB
  3. No Profile Picture

Count me in

I also have an XPS Gen 2 ( == Inspiron 9300, basically) with this problem in the early stages.

I've spent approximately twenty hours on the phone with Dell, mostly being transferred and disconnected. I've had extensive discussions with numerous techs. Usually I end up being trasnferred to the "escalation department", whatever that is, and then I get told, flatly, that Dell will not do anything to fix this problem and it's mine to deal with. They want nearly $600 US for a REFURB screen that I can get NEW on ebay for $220. I can buy a laptop new from Dell with the same screen for under $1000 and they want $600 for someone else's problem with an unknown time remaining until it, too fails? No, thanks.

Doubleoh, have you had a chance to go to Dell with the collected users from dellverticalline.com? If so, what was the result? Have you consulted with an attorney as yet?

I'd be willing to start the ball rolling on it with you if needed. I had had such a good experience with this laptop to this point that I convinced virtually my entire extended family to buy Dell LCD monitors to replace their old CRT's, and I REALLY hope that a) we can get them to fix this problem regardless of warranty status and b) the problem doesn't also occur on 2005FPW, 2007 FPW, and 3007WFP screens, as between my parents, myself, my in-laws, and a friend or two I've essentially sold about ten of these monitors for Dell. >.<

Anyway, I know it's soon after the holidays and I don't want to nag, but I really don't want to allow them to forget about this issue.

I have registered my case on dellverticalline.com , as well.

Looking forward to an update.

Also: To all of you who DID get your screen replaced, please give us ANY information you can possibly get about WHO you talked to, WHAT was said, and if AT ALL possible, your case number so that we can refer to cases that have been successfully resolved. I've basically been called a liar three separate times by high-level Dell techs who didn't believe me when I said fifteen or twenty people were known to have had their screens replaced out of warranty (per the "resolved" section on the site). When I referred them to dellverticalline.com they said "Well, it's just a site, you know, you can post anything on those things". I pointed out it seemed a little odd for twenty people to make up a story about a GOOD customer service experience (getting screen replaced even though warranty expired). I also pointed out that searching for "vertical line" + "LCD" on the Dell forums produces something like nine hundred hits, virtually all of which appear to be this precise issue.

No dice on any of the above - so those of us still stuck with defective computers need all the help we can get.
  4. No Profile Picture

Maybe the only way to get Dells attention would be for all of us to file a complaint with the BBB in which ever country we are from I am sure they wonít like a bad mark on their record.
  5. No Profile Picture

Convincing Dell the LCD are defective

RE: inspiron 9300 vertical lines in LCD
    Clearly, Dell will not admit to their US customers that the screens are defective. We have pointed out this thread and the Dell Vertical Lines website. They see us as just a number of crackpots. They are deleting references to this defect on their own forms. Financially there's a lot at stake. There are many defective screens to replace.

I think there are two approaches.
    1. The legal approach. This would be a last resort for me because in the end we may not get the screens replaced.
    2. The media approach

Think about when things are defective. Usually it's the media that brings it to our attention.

Re: the media approach, I think we should alert the media. This means popular publications such as PC mag, PC World etc. it also means online media such as CNet Digg Google Groups etc. the more widely we publicized are situation, the more likely we are to reach the tipping point.
    Rick
  6. No Profile Picture

I have run Dell's power up tests for the LCD and received the following codes. Has anyone had the same results? The Dell rep stated that the "Lines of Death" are NOT a known problem and do not qualify as a defect. Short of it is "buy a replacement LCD". Can anyone provide a NAME or an email addr to get to the right person?
    LCD Line Test error code 5300:0B21
    LCD Pattern Test error code 5300:0921
  7. No Profile Picture

this is how i got my screen sorted twice!

OK i rang the tech support line and i got the call centre in India. i went through all the normal tests, checked all the cables done the test through there diagnostics.

when all these failed they said the LCD screen was goosed and would require a new one and would arrange for the replacement team to call to quote for a new screen.

now my mate works in retail so he knows the sales of goods act (in the UK). he told me about the sales of goods act and drafted some letters for me. i will give you a quick break down of them

first off start off being nice and friendly tell them what the problem is how old the laptop is and any other work you have needed to be done. also mention if you have recommended dell to anyone.

i e-mailed mine to tech support but i can not see any e-mail address on the dell website anymore (odd that )

if you get no joy and the standard letter back, then write another e-mail to them (by this time you should have a contact name from the e-mail always reply to the same e-mail as it keeps all the information to hand) quote this from the sales of goods act " For up to six years after purchase (five years from discovery in Scotland) purchasers can demand damages (which a court would equate to the cost of a repair or replacement)." and also this "Wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i.e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale)". as the screen has become faulty with in a few months of the warranty running out it seems the screen is not fit for the purpose it was intended.

if you get no joy in this e-mail them again and CC in computer magazines, watch dog tv programs and the trading standards in the UK.

i hope this has been of some help.
  8. No Profile Picture

Dell Vertical Lines Service International

Dell Inspiron 9200 Sales / Service / Problems / Complaints / Overseas / Technical Support / Contact

Dell International / Overseas / Gulf / Saudi Arabia / Bahrain / Qatar / U.A.E. / Kuwait / Oman / Yemen

April 2005, bought Dell Inspiron 9200. Paid $2,000 American.
    August 2006, first vertical line.
    November 2006, 5 vertical colored lines.
    January 2007, 10 vertical coloured lines.

Tried to contact Dell for advice through website Expired Warranty Service but unsuccessful.

Contacted Authorized Dell dealership. They said to repair screen, $700 American. Asked for an address or phone number to contact Dell. They said, WE ARE UNABLE TO PROVIDE YOU WITH THAT INFORMATION. (But they said I could write a letter, give it to them, and they would send it on to Dell). !!!!!!!!!!!! (I know, I couldnít believe it either).

December 2006, understood Dell customer service policy.

Well, thanks Dell Authorized Dealership. But I have a better idea.

I feel cheated. I will through my work and friends, carry this message to the world.

I am an IT consultant in the Gulf, at the present, but I work in Southeast Asia, Asia, and Eastern Europe. There was a Canadian company being queried about possibilities for Dell products for a Saudi Arabian government ministry. They have been convinced that there are better options. I have become a kind of crusader in this matter. I am in Oman now. Oman is an oil rich country expanding in leaps and bounds. Their Ministry of Education has colleges in Muscat, Sohar, Nizwa, Sur, Salalah, Ibra and so on, and each one has several computer rooms and libraries and administration offices, and, and, and. And when things go wrong, they donít care how much it costs to fix it. But they will not be buying Dell products, as long my memos and recommendations are in the pipeline.

So thank you, Dell, for a valuable lesson in business. Positive feedback and word of mouth. Who didnít know? But when a big company maltreats the small customer, thatís just plain unfair. The power of negative feedback and word of mouth really is ten fold. Wait a minute. I just did the math. Itís a thousand fold.

I have given my Inspiron 9200 to my 10-year-old son. I asked him if he would like a little Apple like mine, but he likes the big screen and the vertical lines donít bother him.

By the way Dell. If you ever want to change my opinion of Dell products and customer service, my email is(E-Mail address blocked: See forum rules).
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by georgieb
    Maybe the only way to get Dells attention would be for all of us to file a complaint with the BBB in which ever country we are from I am sure they wonít like a bad mark on their record.
    I just registered to this site so that I can post in this thread. I am another I9300 owner with this problem, and have posted on dellverticalline.com. I note that since my post yesterday, there have been 5 more. I can only imagine how many people are having this problem that haven't found these resources.

I just posted a complaint to the BBB today. My emails to "customer support" met with broken english, a bunch of apologies, and a reference to "out of warranty support", which costs $50. I don't plan on letting them off this easy.
  10. No Profile Picture

Exclamation no0o !! my beautiful inspiron 710m LCD has linez thru it!! =[

I purchased an Inspiron 710m notebook online from Dell in 2006. I was impressed by it's initial performance, and still am. However, a month ago a small chunk of my screen at the top left hand corner disappeared. This happened when i left my notebook on the table charging on a hot day, so i assumed it was because of the heat. Infact, about a week later the portion of my screen missing re-appeared, and i thought my troubles wer over!! THEN just 2 weeks ago pale blue single pixel horizontal lines appeared at the top of my screen. RIGHT NOW i have 4! I DONT WANT ANYMORE! When i plug it into an external monitor, none of the linez appear. >< Then TODAY i came across this site, and found out that ALOT of people also had my problem, but most of them were inspiron 9300's. I havent called Dell yet, because my warranty has probably expired , so i wuz hoping to find another solution. Well now that so many people have the same problem, lets shoot dell
  11. No Profile Picture

Squeeze the lid to remove lines on Dell screen

YES! It worked! I did a similar thing. If I squeeze lightly on the lid of the screen the lines go away. In my case, I squeezed above the lines, on the metal frame, right underneath the "latch" that unlocks the computer.

Must be a loose wire or something, and maybe worth opening up the screen at some point if the screen gets worse. Maybe bought me a few more months of usage, Dudyagee =)

Originally Posted by Dubyagee
    I have a Dell Latitude with the dreaded lines. the lines line up with molded in case designs on the backside of the screen. Anyone have a solution or know of a fix. If I squeeze the screen where the line meets the lid, the lines go away.

Thank in advance
  12. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by fontaine
    YES! It worked! I did a similar thing. If I squeeze lightly on the lid of the screen the lines go away. In my case, I squeezed above the lines, on the metal frame, right underneath the "latch" that unlocks the computer.

Must be a loose wire or something, and maybe worth opening up the screen at some point if the screen gets worse. Maybe bought me a few more months of usage, Dudyagee =)
    It does nothing for me.
  13. No Profile Picture

Vertical lines inspiron 9300 shipped april 2005

Spoke to Dell(UK) today,given the run around ,told computer was out of warranty, I told them I wasn't interested in the warranty but my statutory rights as a consumer.They told me their legal department(asked why I would need to speak to the legal dept all I want is the screen replaced for free,because of the inherent fault which they deny) would call back to explain,why they wouldn't replace it free of charge.

I did get a call back legal person said this was not an inherent fault
    even with all the recorded info on the net. She told me ,anyway it would have needed to be a fault that was apparent immediately,so I put her right on the sale of goods act, she then started going on about distance selling regs.So I told her not to try and throw me off track as distance selling does not come into this.Upshot was talk to your solicitor.

She persistently spoke at the same time as I was speaking which I find irritating. I explained that a conversation consists of one person speaking ,the other listens & replies.

Decided to abandon that route at the moment,I have now written a very polite letter to Josh Claman & also copied the same to Michael Dell.Hopefully I might get some satisfaction,if not it's off to UK computer magazines to see if I can get them to rattle a few cages.

Maybe Dell will eventually admit this is an inherent fault with the screens. The alternative for Dell is less customers due to lack of confidence and extremely poor customer service.

Any other suggestions of how to deal with this would be welcome.
  14. No Profile Picture

Update

All right...Dell is making it pretty clear to most of us that they really couldn't care less.

Do go through the pain and suffering of dealing with their algae-level customer support, if only to get the official denial and a case number.

Then write a letter to Mr. Dell. The address has been provided elsewhere and on dellverticalline.com. Real, physical letters showing up in the inbox can't be ignored.

I know, it's a pain to find an envelope and a stamp. Deal with it if you want your screen replaced.

I sent my letter three days ago after hitting a stone wall via phone support. If enough people do the same, we should all get some resolution.

I'm still hoping the admin of dellverticalline will give us an update, though - what happened with the plans to take all the cases to Dell after the New Year? Any progress on that?
  15. No Profile Picture

It looks like this issue is gaining traction. An article on today's Register describes the problem:

Ah - no linking. Sorry. Anyway, if you go to TheRegister dot com, you'll see there is an article describing this problem.
Page 8 of 12 First ... 678910 ... Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo