1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

slave drive/virtual memory help

Ok, i have a primary hardrive with sufficient memory for what i use it for, and another 4gb hd which isnt even connected up to the comp atm.

Seeing as i only have 256mb ram, i was thinking of connecting it up and using it for virtual memory. Btw i am using Windows XP, i need to know if using this secondary hd as virtual memory will help, and which data cable it needs to be connected to etc etc.

thanks in advance for ne help
  3. Automagically Delicious
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

there is no reason it shouldn't help. you do have to realize that disc access times are much slower than RAM access times, and that's on an order of like hundredfold or thousandfold times faster depending on your system's bus speeds. so, it wouldnt' hurt, but i wouldn't try to allocate any more than maybe 1GB to the other drive, it might end up slowing you down more than you want to.

and you will want to set it up to be your slave, or stick it on primary off of your CD-ROM, you want your bootable sections to be your first primary.

AdamTT
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

(^^;?(What is that 4G HDD, IDE, SCSI,or SATA? Which data cable, How can we know this?)

If you create pagefile in the other drive, at least the primary feel comfortable. It itself is not so bad. But you must consider the whole configurations.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo