1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

SSD performance degradation - how to stay fast?

Hi all, I have a SSD drive since 6 months or so. It is a Corsair F60GB2 (http://www.corsair.com/solid-state-drives/force-series/cssd-f60gb2-brkt.html).

When I installed it, I installed a fresh Windows 7, it was really fast after installation and some weeks after. But then, 6 months after installation, I didn't noticed on a daily basis, but after that, I can't no longer that speed, it takes the same time as a SATA drive do when booting up.

When I see the desktop, is was really fast, I could actually use it when I saw the desktop, but now, I must wait 10-20 seconds after I see that desktop, that about the same time as a standard SATA drive.

What can I do about it, is there something similar to defrag but on a SSD drive that I can run here and there manually to get the performance back?

Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

You shouldn't have to defrag with Windows 7. What brand of SSD did you buy? From what I've seen/read SSD isn't a perfect technology yet in terms of read/write algorithms and performance can very greatly amongst mfgs. Samsung and Intel I believe are two fairly reputable mfgs of SSD drives.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by seack79
    You shouldn't have to defrag with Windows 7. What brand of SSD did you buy? From what I've seen/read SSD isn't a perfect technology yet in terms of read/write algorithms and performance can very greatly amongst mfgs. Samsung and Intel I believe are two fairly reputable mfgs of SSD drives.
    Defrag is disabled, My SSD is a Corsair F60GB2 (F60GB2 (http://www.corsair.com/solid-state-drives/force-series/cssd-f60gb2-brkt.html) )
  7. No Profile Picture

I heard that you shouldn't defragment SSD's. I have no information to back this up and I just recall reading it in a forum post.

With that being said, I reckon the OS will slow you down before the actual hardware does.

To combat this I reinstall the OS, get everything the way I want it (drivers, plugins, software, ect). Then take an image of it with Clonezilla.

Whenever it starts to slow down I can just load that image of it and it will be good as new.
  9. No Profile Picture

SSD should always work quickly, they are like a USB memory

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo