New System, shuts down after 1.5 sec, No POST

Hello all,

I just built a new PC and its not POSTing. Here's the specs:

MSI Z87-GD65
    Core i7-770k
    1 G.Skill DDR3 1866 8GB stick
    EVGA GeForce 760 4GB
    Corsair TX650

I've tried reseating the CPU and RAM and using the integrated graphics. I've double checked the 12V and ATX 24-pin connectors. I've tried using the EVGA card. I've tried all the RAM slots. I've disconnected the HD and optical drive and the front panel connectors (just using the power button on the motherboard). I've reset the CMOS. None of this has worked or changed what happens when I try to boot. I've uploaded a video of it booting: youtu . be/7Qe8OUPBKuQ
    Ignore my housemate in the background

Thanks,
    mikfig
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

In most situations that I've seen, automatic shutdowns are caused by either insufficient power or too much heat. A serious hardware fault could cause it too though.

Less likely but still possible includes things like the power button being broken or contact between the motherboard and the case causing an incorrect ground.

Based on the fact that your system shuts down so quickly, I would suspect that heat is not the issue - but it would be worth checking the CPU and GPU fans to make sure they are spinning well. Also check the fan in your PSU (if it has one). The other fans in the system should not really matter.

I would pull everything out of the case and set it up on a (non-conducting) table. Reseat / reconnect everything. Just the motherboard, CPU, PSU, RAM and GPU. If the problem still occurs there, pull out the RAM and GPU and try it again. Most motherboards should still boot (although fail to POST) without the RAM and GPU - I wouldn't expect it to auto-shutoff).

If that doesn't work either, try a replacement PSU. If nothing above works, then it's probably a PSU problem. The symptoms sound like a PSU problem, but there are a lot of things you can rule out before actually trying a replacement PSU.

If that doesn't work, try a replacement motherboard. Motherboards are pretty complicated and it's not really unusual to get a bad one once in a while.

If that doesn't work, try a replacement CPU. CPUs are even more complicated than motherboards, but I have never seen a bad CPU or known anyone who has ever had a bad CPU, so the chances of getting to this step are pretty low. Also the motherboard would probably still (try to) POST with a bad CPU.

If that doesn't work, IDK because you've just built a totally separate computer.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I agree with removing everything out of the case and setting it up on a non-conductive surface to test.
    You should only need cpu, 1 stick of ram, and possibly graphics card [if no onboard is available] for testing.....and of course the PSU

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo