1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Transfer Speed on USB

I am having couple of problems with my trasnfer speed. I just bought a new enclosure case for my Seagate 160GB HD. I am finding the transfer speed is very slow compared to anthoer enclosure case I have containing 20GB hd. My PC has USB 2.0. On my old case, I get a speed of about 23 MB/sec majority of times. My new case is only giving me about 15 MB/sec. What can I do and how do I make it faster? This is my new enclouser case http://www.eagletechusa.com/Product_Exter_3.5.asp?Product_ID=165

I even exchanged the two hd to see if it is the hd that is causing it to be slow, but i found out it is the enclourse case. When I put the 160GB hd in the old case, it transfers at 23 MB/sec...
    Last edited by Zythyr; December 15th, 2007 at 01:34 PM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Help please.
  5. ~ѕυяяєη∂єя~
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

OK well eather you have a cheaper/not as good enclosure...Then the only way I can think to fix it is get a different enclosure.

The only other thing it could be is a bad usb port...have you tried switching the cable to a different usb port on your pc...or even switching the cable that runs to the pc
    track3r.net My Personal Blog | Twitter
    TheModShop Tech Blog
  7. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

It's a little rude to bump up your thread like that

Anyways, I'm not an expert on the inner workings of hard drives, but I'd assume that the size difference between those drives might account for an overall decrease in write times. I could be wrong on that one though, and I don't think it accounts for an 8mb/s loss. The controller in the case could be a crappy one I suppose, can you try swapping the drives' cases? have you tried another USB port? Are both disks 7200RPM/3.5"?
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I tested both cases with 2 different HD and different ports. Still the test shows that the new cases is slower. And soryr about bumping thread. I just got a little anxious, I was waiting for more than 24 hours.
  11. Trapped on the forums...help
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

the "slow" speeds your reporting are above the speed of slow USB, and they are far below the speed of any desktop drive, that basically means that the bottleneck is the USB-IDE (or SATA) bridge in the case, or your testing methods are bad

I would say that basically you bought a cheap case and you got crappy speeds, the only solution is to get a better case, they are not all made equal, though looking at the page you linked to i see they went out of the way to say the chips are not cheap, so i think its unlikely that the chips are slow (but its possible)

That leads me to believe your testing methods are flawed, have you tried others methods to test the case? are you doing anything different when running the tests?
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by edman007
    the "slow" speeds your reporting are above the speed of slow USB, and they are far below the speed of any desktop drive, that basically means that the bottleneck is the USB-IDE (or SATA) bridge in the case, or your testing methods are bad

I would say that basically you bought a cheap case and you got crappy speeds, the only solution is to get a better case, they are not all made equal, though looking at the page you linked to i see they went out of the way to say the chips are not cheap, so i think its unlikely that the chips are slow (but its possible)

That leads me to believe your testing methods are flawed, have you tried others methods to test the case? are you doing anything different when running the tests?
    I had two hard drives: 20 GB and 160GB. For 1 year, my 20GB was inside the old case while 160GB was being used for my desktop. I don't need the desktop anymore so I decided to take out the 160GB and buy another case. I bought a new case just for my 160GB. I tured out that the transfer speed was very slow in the new case with my 160GB. So I thought it must be a problem with my HD isnstead of the case. So put in the 20GB to check the speed and it was still slow. I tested the 160GB with the old case and the speed was faster.

This shows that my testing isn't flawed. My control was the same laptop I used throughout the test. The old case gave me faster speeds no matter what I did.

Thus, like you said, I think it is a problem with the chip instead of my HD. I should just go ahead and get another case. thanks alot of the help.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo