Thread: Upgrades?

1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Upgrades?

I'm in dire need of some upgrades for my pc, i know how to fit the hardware myself but i'm pretty stuck at what i should buy, there a lot of things i know will work but i don't know if they're any good. I'm hoping that someone here can give some suggestion on what will get the best performance. I've included some details about my system at the bottom just incase i miss anything.

At the moment i have a shameful 512MB of memory and i would like 2GB (while playing games im getting a lot of page swapping), and i'm pretty sure all i need to do is get 2GB of the fastest ram i can find on crucial.com. Anywhere cheaper?

I have a socket 939 motherboard so in theory i should be able to get the 4800+ X2 AMD Athlon 64? right? i have an amd athlon 64 3400+ in there at the moment.

And lastly i need a new graphics card as my ATI radeon xpress 200 integrated graphics are just crap. I have a 16x PCI Express socket, what's the best thing i can get in there?

I'm hoping i won't need a new PSU, the cpu and ram won't add much to the required wattage although a new graphics card and a bunch of new fans will. I can't seem to find any indication of my current psu's wattage from any applications, i'll take off the case and see if it says on the psu itself later on.

Cost isn't too much of an issue so long as it isn't mega expensive.

Suggestions? anyone?

Heres an extract of my motherboards documentation (MSI AMETHYST-M 1.0):

CPU
    † Supports 64-bit AMD® Athlon 64 and Athlon 64 FX processor (Socket 939)

† Supports up to 4000+ Athlon 64 FX-55, or higher CPU
    (For the latest information about CPU, please visit http://www.msi.com.tw/program/
    products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_cpu_support.php)
    Chipset

† ATI® RS482 Chipset
    - HyperTransportTM connection to AMD K8 Athlon64 processor
    - 8 or 16 bit control/address/data transfer both directions
    - 1000/800 MHz “Double Data Rate” operation both direction
    - Compliant with PCI Express 1.0a specifications (one x16 graphics interface,
    which can be divided into two smaller links for use by other devices)
    - Graphic integrated

† ATI® SB400 Chipset
    - Supports dual channel native SATA controller up to 150MB/s with RAID 0 or RAID
    1 or 0+1
    - Integrated Hardware Sound Blaster/Direct Sound AC97 audio
    - Ultra DMA 33/ 66/100 master mode PCI EIDE controller
    - ACPI & PC2001 compliant enhanced power management
    - Supports USB2.0 up to 8 ports
    Main Memory

† Supports dual channel, eight memory banks DDR 333/400, using four 184-pin
    DDR DIMMs

† Supports a maximum memory size up to 4GB without ECC

† Supports 2.5v DDR SDRAM DIMM
    (For the updated supporting memory modules, please visit http://www.msi.com.
    tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_trp_list.php.)
    Slots
    † One PCI Express x16 slot (supports PCI Express Bus specification v1.0a compliant)

† Three 32-bit Master 3.3V/5V PCI Bus slots
    Onboard IDE

† An IDE controller on the ATI® SB400 chipset provides IDE HDD/CD-ROM with PIO,
    Bus Master and Ultra DMA 100/66/33 operation modes

† Can connect up to 4 IDE devices
    Onboard Serial ATA

† Supports 2 SATA ports with up to 150MB/s transfer rate
    Last edited by calpol2004; September 21st, 2007 at 11:49 AM.
  3. Trapped on the forums...help
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

get everything from newegg.com, its pretty much the best prices your going to get, and my brother just did this to his computer and it makes a huge difference if you want to upgrade (went from 1GB to 2GB, 3000+ to opteron listed below, and 6600GT to 7900GT)

the best CPU you can get is
    this

then get 2 GB of RAM and a decent video card and you should do fine, pick those parts and it will feel like a new computer

for the video card, i say pick whatever you want (look here for the best card for the money), but remember that the real high end ones are probably not worth it, i don't think a 939 system is going to be fast enough to run a fast 8800

Also, you probably need to upgrade your BIOS to support the dual core CPU (when my brother did it it booted fine, but there was only one core visible and nothing threw an error about it, so its very easy to miss, check the task manager and verify that you see two CPUs), a BIOS upgrade to the latest should fix any problems with the CPU
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I never thought the opteron was 64bit , supposedly it's designed for servers but does it work better than an AMD athlon 64 X2 4200+ when gaming?

And newegg unfortunatly isn't an option, as i'm from the uk . But i did manage to find a website called overclockersuk which is basically the same thing although they only tend to stock the high-end stuff.

I'm currently looking through that graphics card website, my price range is anything up to £200 for a graphics card ($400 roughly) so im looking at the radeon 1950 series. Would this http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-070-HT&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=404 be a good card to get? I think it may be too good for my motherboard though.

Thanks for the help .
    Last edited by calpol2004; September 21st, 2007 at 09:48 AM.
  7. Trapped on the forums...help
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

yea, that looks like a good card, it should be fine for your system if you upgrade the CPU and RAM

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo