1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Upgrading Laptop RAM/Monitor/Video

Hi guys, so I apologise if this is in the wrong place, or if I could find this info elsewhere. There's just a bunch of stuff I'm not sure of so thought it would be easiest to ask it all in one place.

So I have a HP dv9000, bought it maybe 3-4 years ago. It only has 1GB RAM (lol) and has an Intel Core 1.8 Ghz processor. Basically, I am looking to hook up an extra 22-25 inch monitor and want to upgrade anything necessary to make it run smooth (but do it as cheaply as possible). Wanna run the external monitor at the same time as my laptop display obviously. I'm running Windows 7.

So obviously the first thing is RAM, I'm assuming 2.5GB RAM is enough to run smoothly, so I figure just buy a 2GB stick since this computer has 2 500MB sticks. This all right?

The rest is where I lose any certainty. The stock graphics card is a GeForce Go 7600, and I have one VGA connection and an expansion port.

Do I need to replace the video card, and if so do I need to buy some kind of connector to have a second monitor? I have hooked up a monitor before but I could only use that or the laptop, not both at the same time. Is a 1.8Ghz processor enough for what I wanna do?

Pretty much anything I need to do to safely upgrade the computer so it can handle an extra monitor, and as cheaply as possible. Can you help?

Thanks in advance for replies. If there are any more details you need let me know!

edit: Just thought I'd chuck in I'm not really using it for intense gaming. I play online poker, and watch movies on my computer and that's pretty much it except for word processing etc.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You will need couple of VRAM to put multiple screens, or you can also put in one if your card supports it. Yes normal DVI cable is surely not for such type of PC.

You must get new PC, from newengg. which is cheap.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by VPSWebServer.
    You will need couple of VRAM to put multiple screens, or you can also put in one if your card supports it. Yes normal DVI cable is surely not for such type of PC.

You must get new PC, from newengg. which is cheap.
    Haha yeah, a while after I posted this I did more research and realised that my laptop is actually such a piece of crap its almost impossible to upgrade without some standalone device for multiple screens, and the max RAM it supports is 2GB lol.

Definitely just buying a new computer, thanks for the advice anyway
  7. No Profile Picture

You have to purchase AGP Display card which has 2 Ports of Monitors or you can purchase a device dual head2go.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo