1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Exclamation P.c problem (virus,not sure)?

i have a p.c problem,anytime i use my p.c,after 5 minutes it turns off just like that and my p.c fan doesn't roll/work,
    this are the things i think might have been the problem,i downloaded speed fan,did some temperature shuffling,i downloaded c.cleaner(a registry cleaner,it erased a part of my anti virus and now my anti virus is turned off,but basically what i am concerned about is my fan not turning ,how can i fix this,should i re-install xp,or what ,I'm confused.please my p.c is my life.how can i make my p.c fan work please i need help.
    i tried system restore,but the system restore program did not come up,i use xp on hp compaq,my p.c is about 4-5 years old and this is the first time its acting like it want's to crash
    (im not sure which fan it is but it is the one by the side/under)
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If it is your CPU cooling fan that is not working then I suspect your PC is going into shut-down mode because of a high CPU temperature. Replacing the CPU fan with a working one should stop this problem.

-chris

Comments on this post

• jzd agrees : I agree, but it sounds like it might be a different fan.
    Visit www.postasite.net for affordable, reliable web hosting.
    www.twitter.com/postasite
  5. Automagically Delicious
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

A good temporary solution and one that will better identify if it is a cooling issue is open the side of your case and leave it open, point a regular house fan into it (not too close) and let it run. While it may be noisy it will give you WAY more cooling than you need and leave you without a doubt that it is or is not a cooling issue.

If you come up with the same problem, it might be a power issue or one of your components is going or has already gone bad.
    Adam TT
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Sorry Kiwi, but I disagree with your statement. A PC can overheat in a matter of seconds if the heatsink and fan are not cooling properly; perhaps I misunderstood you.

The bit about canned air and checking for fan functionality is all good advice though.
  9. Contributing User

Actually, temperature can shoot up that fast. When I first put my PC together and turned it on, all fans were working but my CPU fan didn't click on properly. I was in the bios, watching the temperature shoot up to 79c within a couple of minutes. I turned it off and double checked everything because I wasn't going to sit around to see what was going to happen.
    Quality European Web Hosting - LDHosting.com
    High Quality, Low Cost Web Hosting Services
    www.ldhosting.com
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The old AMD thunderbird processors would die in seconds, literally, if the heatsink/fan was not seated properly.

Comments on this post

• ManiacDan agrees : I fried an egg on a thunderbird once, just for the hell of it.
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by kiwiberries
    I disagree with the above diagnoses.

The temperature wouldn't shoot up that fast. He goes to bed, it fully cools down, he turns it on and it turns off after 5 minutes? Unlikely.

If you go into your BIOS during boot-up and leave it there for 10 minutes, does it still turn off? If it doesn't turn off, then your operating system is causing the problem.

You need to open it up, remove all dust, clean all fans, and make sure all the connections are secure, including your RAM.

if that doesn't fix it and you have more than one stick of RAM, try removing one and turning it on. If that doesn't work, take out the other stick of RAM and put the first one back in and turn it in.

If none of that works, your motherboard is the culprit.
    i tried the above but it turned of within 15-20 minutes
    but the under was still burning hot
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

This is a heat related shut-down and repairing the defective fan you say is not rotating should rectify the problem.

@kiwiberries - an uncooled CPU generates so much heat and so rapidly that as another poster mentioned it will shut-down the PC. I know this from experience, had two computers in the office that ingested dust bunnies during a reno that kept shutting down and acting very weird. Opening the cover revealed the CPU fan was clogged with debris and removing this material resulted in the PC's working properly.

Good Luck,
    Chris
    Visit www.postasite.net for affordable, reliable web hosting.
    www.twitter.com/postasite

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo