1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Will Virus Infect Ext. Harddrive?

Situation:

- I have a Trojan virus on my computer.
    - I cannot (given my limited knowledge) remove it.
    - I want to transfer music files from the infected computer to an external hard drive. The anti-virus program that detected the virus on my computer 'tells me' that these files are not infected.

My question:

What are the risks of transferring these music files to my external hard drive? I am concerned about the risk to the external hard drive itself and also to any computer that I might later transfer these files to...

Wow, I hope I asked this question intelligently! Too long? More concise? More info? (I'm interested in the best way to phrase a question as I believe that being a good computer scientist is largely about recognizing a problem intelligently)
    Last edited by conoroleary; October 20th, 2006 at 09:42 AM.
  3. Providing fuel for space ships
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Transfer the files and then scan that hard drive afterwards, before and after you hook it up to a new machine.

On this subject, would you like us to help you clear your machine of the infection ?
    The No Ma'am commandments:

1.) It is O.K. to call hooters 'knockers' and sometimes snack trays
    2.) It is wrong to be French
    3.) It is O.K. to put all bad people in a giant meat grinder
    4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
    5.) It is O.K. to drive a gas guzzler if it helps you get babes
    6.) Everyone should car pool but me
    7.) Bring back the word 'stewardesses'
    8.) Synchronized swimming is not a sport
    9.) Mud wrestling is a sport
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by aitken325i
    Transfer the files and then scan that hard drive afterwards, before and after you hook it up to a new machine.

On this subject, would you like us to help you clear your machine of the infection ?
    Thanks aitken325i, it's my friends harddrive and computer so I currently don't have access to it. His main concern at the moment is rescuing his music files, thanks for the offer!

Is it possible that the harddrive has firmware (is that the correct term? I mean 'software that is included by the manufacturer on the device and is needed for its operation') that could be infected if I hook the ext. hard drive up to the infected computer?

It would be great to do as you just advised and scan the hard drive but if the hard drive is found with a virus then that is a new problem...now the computer AND the external hard drive have a problem. Is that possible?

EDIT: more info from friend!

He has a lot of precious photos on the hard drive that he doesn't want the risk of infecting. That's why he's unwilling to hook the hard-drive up to the computer and transfer files.
    Last edited by conoroleary; October 20th, 2006 at 09:43 PM.
  7. Contributing User

Does he know the name of the virus? A write up on the virus would indicate if it's payload is malicious or whatever, not all viruses have payloads, it's just some proof of concept stuff that has people running to Norton et al for protection

Check out the FAQ's at the top of the windows help forum, and get your friend to check them out too Some good reading
    --Ax
    without exception, there is no rule ...
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    Targeted Advertising Cookie Optout (TACO) extension for Firefox
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  9. Periodically energetic Perler
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Your mate should check for a virus just in case his computer is infected with one. Viruses in general cannot infect jpgs or mp3s, but some can delete the contents of a hardrive so with good intention you should get him/her to virus scan. If they dont have an antivirus program then advise (AVG ).

Let us know if he needs assistance,
    Displeaser
    Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

(Oo;?(Firmware infection?)

I didn't thought of it, though, it is completely possible. However as it is hardware specific in most cases being different from generic OS, BIOS or firmware based virus can't prevail so much. Next considerations are boot sector virus, autorun trigger, and the data execution. The highly popular devices such as Ipod may be the convenient target from now onward.
  13. Providing fuel for space ships

OK - as we're not sure if your friend wants to scan for viruses or not, I'll leave this thread in here for the time being (rather than move it to Anti-Virus forum).

Although if you wish to check it out can you download, update the definitions and run Spybot S & D, Ad-Aware, AVG Anti-Spyware and Trojan Hunter. After you have ran all these programs, run a thorough Anti-Virus scan. Should you not have any AV software on your machine, have a look at running an online scan at Panda Active Scan or Trend Micro Housecall or by downloading and installing AVG Free.

Once you have run these programs, please post a HijackThis log for us to look at.

If you do decide to run these applications, let us know if they find anything. If not, let us know what you intend to do so we can come to a safe resolution for your friend.

4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Red face

The computer DEFINATELY HAS A VIRUS. I know that.

My friend wants to transfer MP3s from the INFECTED computer to an ext. hard drive. He doesn't want to infect photos that already exist on the ext. hard drive.

AVG displays that the computer is infected but that the folder with the music files is not infected. My friend is worried that the virus has affected the system files and that by simply using the infected operating system to transfer the files that the photos on his external hard drive can be infected...phew!

Once he transfers the MP3s he will ditch the computer (Virus and all!).

I think this post belongs in the virus forum!
  17. Providing fuel for space ships

Photo's and MP3's are generally ok when it comes to viruses. Remember to scan the external drive for viruses when you attach it to the new pc. Is that what you mean ?

If he's that bothered about the files, remove the virus from the infected computer and there will be nothing to worry about, will there.

4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yeah, true. The problem is that his operating system is in Korean and he doesn't have the time/expertise to remove a Trojan. AVG has detected it and 'removed' it...it keeps coming back though, so that suggest that AVG can't really remove it.

Give him some time though and see what he does. You've already given loads of good advice so the balls in his court. Thanks a million! I'll see what he does, although it mightn't be informative.
    Last edited by conoroleary; October 21st, 2006 at 11:48 AM. Reason: removed irritating 'not worthy' smiley
  21. Contributing User

He's not using this for a missile guidance system is he by any chance

Relax, I'm kidding, I'm kidding
    --Ax
    without exception, there is no rule ...
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    Targeted Advertising Cookie Optout (TACO) extension for Firefox
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  23. Periodically energetic Perler
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by conoroleary
    AVG has detected it and 'removed' it...it keeps coming back though, so that suggest that AVG can't really remove it.
    Not necessarily, If its living inside the system restores, windows will happily restore it. Maybe suggest to your friend to first update AVG, then disable system retores, reboot into safemode and then scan.

Displeaser

Comments on this post

• Axweildr agrees : good idea
    Last edited by displeaser; October 21st, 2006 at 10:16 PM. Reason: grammer & spelling
    Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici.
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Brilliant Displeaser! I remember him saying something about not being able to find the file path, but that it had 'restore' in it. I'll go over to his house on monday to sort it out!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo