1. No Profile Picture
    Psycho by nature
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Turning up the wattage

Alright, I built my computer about a year ago and I've been doing constant upgrades and additions. When I was first building it I bought it a piece at a time (eg: case, then mobo, the cpu, etc...) When I finally got all the pieces together it still didn't work so I took it in and they said I had burnt out my mobo. What I'm trying to get to is now I think I need to turn up the wattage output on my power supply. Is it safe to just turn up?

The reason I think it needs to be turned up is that I'm constantly having device failures with my new video card. And it would make sense that it is the wattage because I have a lot of stuff in my machine.

Thanks.
  3. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

What do you mean, "turn it up"? You can easily get a more powerful PSU and stick it in, I don't know that you can increase the wattage of the PSU that you already have. What is the brand and power rating of your current PSU, and what hardware are you running?
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  5. No Profile Picture
    Psycho by nature

Sorry about my lack of explanation ther. I'm not exactly a wiz on this stuff so I might not have all my terminolagies perfect but here goes.

What I meant by "turning up the wattage" was that on the back of my PSU there is a little red switch that I can use to change from 115w to 300w. I was wondering if it would be safe to turn it up to 300w without risking burning out my mother board again.

The PSU is a Macron Power, Model: MPT-301

The hardware I have connected is the main MSI KT4V motherboard, athlon XP 1600+ CPU (obviously with a fan), single hardrive, dvd drive as well as a cd-rw drive, 2 3.5" floppy drives, AGP Video Card, PCI Video Card (Which keeps having device failures), PCI ethernet card, PCI IEEE1394 card, and 2 system fans.

If anybody can understand my question and help me out, thank you.
  7. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

You're sure the switch isn't 115 to 230 V? That would be to switch depending on the voltage in your socket. In Canada, you would have it on the 115V setting, and switching to the other setting could fry the psu and other components. Why do you have a pci and agp video card? Also, since you have a pretty much cheap off brand psu, it might not be delivering its advertised 300 watts, or it might be very uneven in its power delivery. The psu is not really a good place to save a few dollars.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Psycho by nature

Thanks for clearing that up for me. It is 115 and 230.

I have 2 Video Cards for a multi-screen display.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo